When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 104 from canal street?!:

jacobsen1

Well my wife ran the More 1/2 marathon this weekend in NYC...

I got "stuck" with the job of driving her and her 2 friends into the city for the weekend. We had a great time but I put 3 "conditions" into the trip:

1) I would get to go to B&H to "research" some photography gear I'm looking at getting.

2) I would get to go to the crumpler store to check out some of their new bags.

3) I would get to go to canal street and buy myself a NYC rep.

They said fine to all three, and actually really wanted to go to #2 and #3 and knew why #1 was important, just that they probably wouldn't go with me for that errand...

So anyway, I had a blast, and here's what I picked up:

223357-13831.jpg

223357-13832.jpg

223357-13833.jpg

223357-13834.jpg

My Pbase gallery of more images.

genuine from Panerai's site:

223357-13835.jpg

Panerai Link

so I think it's a PAM 104... Not sure, but it's the closest I could find.

What do you guys think of it?

Here's what I can see wrong with it:

*the second hand should be to the left more

*the date wheel should be to the right more

*the date wheel should be white font on a black background

*the font on the 6 is wrong (shouldn't be closed)

*it should say automatic under Panerai on the face

*the stitching on the strap should be black

*there should be pin holes for the strap

*shouldn't have a display back

anyway, I know it has a lot of flaws, and it's won't fool anyone that know's their watches... But I LOVE it. It's my first PAM and I'm a huge fan already... It's so much cleaner than my rolex GMT... Less busy. You look at it and see the time, and you're done... I would prefer a PAM w/o a date or seconds either after now having this for 2 days... I really like this watch, and for the options they had on canal street I really really like it... I only had time to go to maybe 5 watch vendors while there because I had the girls in tow... They had a bunch of PAMs I don't like and tons of Breitlings and Omegas, but not one ROLEX??? I did see another (radiomir) PAM at another vendor that I would have loved to check out, but I had already picked up my 1 watch, and we needed to get into China town for the girls. I will be going back for another trip for shits and giggle either alone, or with just the wife and more time to check out a ton more vendors before I pick. It was also fun because my wife got to see all the knock off (both watches and bags and stuff) and then once we got to dinner, all the girls were checking out the watch and couldn't believe what I paid for it and "how cool it was" and "how it looked great on my wrist" or how "it's Ben sized"... :lol: We all enjoyed it, and it's even more fun than ordering online because you get to touch/hold/examine the watch in person before you buy it. Also no shipping charges and no tax was kinda nice... No wondering if customs will take it.... Also you get to haggle for the price:

So what do you think it's worth?

Click below to see what I paid:

OK, so they wanted $55. I didn't have a whole lot of time to haggle or "walk away" to get it super cheap, but I ended up paying $40... Not bad IMHO as that's the shipping charge to get one from one of our vendors...

so for what I paid I'm very pleased with it. I doubt it's as good as what I've gotten from our vendors here, but it's more fun shopping in person... Also, can anyone give me any advice on how I might change the strap? There are no pin holes... The strap seems to be at least a good fake leather (says genuine, but yeah, it's a knock off watch...) but the 2 little straps that hold the "tail" down (what are they called anyway?) are cheap vinyl so eventually I'd like to swap the strap out if I can....

So would you have bought this for the $$$? So far I'm happy with it. I'll see how well it wears and if it lasts. For the $ I'm pleased and don't expect much.

Ben

amazing pictures ... not so amazing watch. but i will say this, i too bought my first pam rep on canal street. i now have many good reps as well as a genuine 091. you will definitely be adding to your collections soon and i look forward to seeing more of your pictures! all the best.

In your list of 'faults' you missed out the most glaringly obvious one... the crown, a few months down the line you'll have a collection of PAM models and you wont want to ever wear that watch again :D do yourself a favour and put the money for a strap toward your first 'proper' PAM rep ;)

BTW... I've been wondering about this for some time, I thought reps were illegal in the states, how do they get away with selling them there?

haha....let's why we called "free" nation.

Well the true is Police/FBI/CIA/Homeland......(whatever) do go to crack down those shop once awhile but since selling rep is not a terrible crime compare to drug/ murder.... so they stay open.

I've been in Canal Street "knock off shops" where the salesperson would listen in on a CB radio. The next thing we knew, the door and blinds go down and all the lights are turned off. A few seconds later, cop cars with sirens on would go blarring by the shop. A few minutes later the store front would open up again and all of us tourists would go scrambling out!

Nowadays in NYC, the police crack down on these storefront owners that rent/lease to these vendors. Many of them now go higher above ground in backrooms of apartment complexes. Their street people will come up to you with catalogues now.

Street level knock-offs are quite poor. It's the backroom stuff I need to get the ballz to go up and see one day!

I know it's not a good rep, but for $40 I'm happy...

That's the important thing.

Sure it's crappy, but it'll give you a feel for Panerais. You'll get better ones and stop wearing this one, but it'll perversely always be appreciated, I bet. :D

I am a great fan of the 104, I have two of them (and one of his little brother, the 050).

So I plaude your choice, and even more on you getting a touch of what PAMs are.

I also got something very similar as my 1st PAM rep.

And if you like it, that's all that matters.

But now I also have to honestly tell you: one can't even look at that watch.

Keep it in a safe (and dark) place and love it as your 1st PAM.

Then add 68 bucks to its price and get this one, you'll be glad from doing it.

Only obvious faults: date font and caseback inscriptions. But great lume and great overall look.

Great value for the price!

That $108 104 doesn't look much better (IMO)

You need new lenses.

you could get one of these for around the same money.

And where a 104 would be?

'cos, if we deviate from the 104, then Silix also offers a 027 or a 090, with fully functional PR, @ 80 USD.

Besides of that, Silix's stock clearance is out since March 23 (judging on what they stated).

I don't need new lenses and I still say that $108 104 is a POS.

Ok, let's play the game then. :)

On what evidences is your opinion based?

That's the important thing.

Sure it's crappy, but it'll give you a feel for Panerais. You'll get better ones and stop wearing this one, but it'll perversely always be appreciated, I bet. :D

Exactly.

:)

I'm loving the look of it.

My whole thing with reps, is not to make people think I'm wearing a PAM xyz, but to have fun/cool/interesting watches that don't cost a lot of $$$. I could care less if they even have the brands on them. Personally I'd prefer them to have no branding on them at all. For this reason I'm looking at putting a blank dial on my GMT-II and replacing the hands with something less rolex...

This watch clearly isn't worth spending any money on, but I love the look/feel of it and it was a very cheap/easy way to get my feet wet with the size and shape of PAMs. I'm already in love with it over my GMT-II even though the quality isn't as nice. I know know I'm a HUGE PAM fan, and (I guess unfortunately) hooked on them...

This is what I'm thinking for my next watch, one of these:

223890-13682.jpg

223890-13683.jpg

I love the fact they don't say Panerai on the face, and I love the half roman half digits on the face... I'm a HUGE fan of the blue needles, and it comes with a case back. It's also 47mm which I think I'll like more... But I like the band on the first one in the fact it has the rivets on it, but the orange colors seems a bit weird... I'd love to see them in person to be able to choose which to buy...

Ben

Here's a photo of my watch box from around 2 years ago, as you can see I got hooked too (I've alse owned several other PAMs that aren't pictured), the only PAM I have now is an 036, but I still have various straps left over, and bezel guards, and papers, and stickers, and Panerai catalogues etc, :D

223902-13681.jpg

Mainly the movement and the date font

Ok, I can agree on that. Actually, I too pointed out the date font in mt 1st post here.

But, about the movement, it is just a bad habit of us PAM lovers to demand a movement consistent with the gen (naturally this is because OP, differently from other brands, did not use in-home movements until a very recent age).

Being the 104 caseback not see-through, who cares about the look of the movement?

And, about the quality, I did not get one single problem from any of my Asian 21Js -- and I have 7 of them.