When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just got my PO today....

predfan2001

After reading many reviews here, I couldn't wait to order an Omega Planet Ocean. The website I ordered it from confused me a little. Their 42.5mm version was actually about $40.00 more than the 45mm Ultimate and stated it was the best PO rep. ever. Based on that and the price, I assumed it was a newer model, newer than a 4th generation. I had a Breitling Hercules once that I HATED because it was so big so I chose the 42.5mm PO-all black.

Since ordering it I have read up a little more and asked a few questions here. And just as I figured, it came in today and it is a 4th gen. It is absolutely beautiful (except I keep looking at the gap in the bracelet-maybe I'll get a strap when they come out) but I now wish that I had ordered the Ultimate. It doesn't seem quite as large as the Bond model pro I used to have. Maybe it's just me but even though it is a 42.5mm, I was expecting it to be a little larger.

My point is this, if there are any of you that haven't already got a PO and are thinking about getting one, get the Ultimate unless you have a very small wrist.

Having tried on both sizes, I find both sizes look fine, although my fiance thought the 45 looked too big... I dread to think which generation my 42 is, as the Omega logo is printed ink, same as the lettering (which I actually really like, as it looks uniform) and the words 'Swiss Made' are actually above the minute markings rather than beneath them. Despite these inaccuracies, I absolutely love the watch, as it was a christmas present from my fiance, and I can't wait to get it back from having the crown repaired :D

Update on the PO. I was out in direct sunlight today and guess what? The crystal has a tiny chip on the inside. It's very small and right over the 3 oclock marker so it is very hard to see. But you know how it goes, everytime I look down I'll see that and the band gap (which really isn't that bad). I still like it but can't make up my mind what to try next. A SMP or a Rolex sub nodate. Hmmm.

Oh yeah, I sized the band myself with no problem. Granted I can't do anything with a movement, but I have worked on and built many watches so I'm not a total novice. I used some small nails and my rubber lined vise. Nothing to it (just don't drop the band bushing).

Update on the PO. I was out in direct sunlight today and guess what? The crystal has a tiny chip on the inside. It's very small and right over the 3 oclock marker so it is very hard to see. But you know how it goes, everytime I look down I'll see that and the band gap (which really isn't that bad). I still like it but can't make up my mind what to try next. A SMP or a Rolex sub nodate. Hmmm.

Oh yeah, I sized the band myself with no problem. Granted I can't do anything with a movement, but I have worked on and built many watches so I'm not a total novice. I used some small nails and my rubber lined vise. Nothing to it (just don't drop the band bushing).

Sorry to hear about the chip in the crystal. You could always get a new crystal installed though... As for SMP or Rolex Sub nodate. Hmmmm indeed :D Personally, I hate having to change the date at the end of the month, but, the SMP dial is more easily readable than a Rolex dial... What is more important feature to you? Ease of visibility of the dial, or the no date?