When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot CEO is now aware of the HBB fakes...

Guest Sql_pl

Hi Tim, you are soooo right! The watchindustry is made extra expensive by two major things... an expensive dealer network and the choice of market segment.

Say if a brand has the same in house movement for decades and decades, the same design diver & chrono watches.... let's name that brand Rollie. Do you really think it's the cost that makes this watch this expensive?

No! It's choice!!

I think this is true. The luxury watch market is an artificial contrivance. Then again, we are not talking about a necessity here, such as fuel or a basic utility, so you won't catch me rationalizing my questionable hobby by exposing the profiteering motive of some innocuous watch company. As obvious as this point is, it's worth repeating: if you need to tell time, go buy a Seiko at 75% off retail and you'll be set for life. But as someone simply stated, "I don't buy watches to tell me the time".

It is generally reported that the manufacturer makes 100% profit on what it costs them to manufacture, market, etc., their watches. Yeah, as repugnant as this may sound, I believe they deserve to be even further compensated by someone who copies their design. I just can't accept the idea that just because they're doing ridiculously well it therefore follows that someone is given license (no pun intended) to rip-off their designs.

If high profits truly [censored] people off, why don't they just compete by encouraging the Chinese makers to simply create their own designs and sell them at reasonable prices? Because the Chinese understand it is not that simple, and they realize that buying a reasonably priced watch has never been the reason why we buy reps.

For better or worse, the fact remains we buy into the artificially contrived luxury watch market almost as much as the fool who thinks 10% off the MSRP is a bargain!

On a personal note, the continual QC problems of reps has convinced me to start buying Gens again. And I have to tell you, the feeling of wearing a Rep is no where near as satisfying as knowing I'm wearing a Gen that I paid 40% off the MSRP for!

Be well!

Heck, I learned you have to do that with gens as well. I purchased a very high grade gen that had unique screws securing the back of the watch. (The head of the screw was like a small bolt but with a triangular head.) I get the watch and wear it once or twice and on the third time someting is poking me and hurting my wrist. I take the watch off and one of the screws are hanging out literally by a thread. That screw would have been impossible to replace.

/Tim

You know what I think? This dude is trying to calm people down with the fact that the HBB is sooo close....so he tries to calm them by saying they will fall apart....

Anyway......chances this dude is reading this thread........100%

Hell, this thread may be copied next. :lol:

....oh my. You shouldn't post these messages. I had a reply to him already typed on TZ asking why the hell he is wandering around a replica board. Thought better of it.

I do a lot of work with gens as well as reps. I am just a plain watch lover. I do things to a rep that I could never in a million years do to a gen and for that I find the reps very useful. I also never mix up the two worlds.

/Tim

I always find it hilarious when the TZ people try to look rep community down their noses. Some members of this forum own ridiculously expensive collections of genuines. I'm also know for a fact that many TZ "purists" are closet rep buyers.

That being said... the guy who posted the Big Bang rep to TZ should be ridiculed and IP banned here (if we can somehow find out who he was). It's completely distasteful and LAME to troll the gen watch groups (imho). We leave them alone...and maybe they'll leave us alone too.

I repeat myself once again: Some people can't see the big picture... this hobby doesn't need any more mainstream attention than it already has. And especially not from the lawyers and bosses of the gen watch companies. I completely understand the Hublot guy's concern... for most of us collectors reps are just "harmless fun"... but not to those guys. High end reps HURT their business... and if the quality further improves it will only become worse... it's not a laughing matter.

That's why I've been saying that we should make this forum less accessible in Google... and keep low profile... it's only a matter of time before something negative happens. People who take their reps to AD and post them to TZ hurt us all.

Good post By-Tor,

I agree.....they would leave us alone but now that this happened, its LOGICAL that the hublot guys are interferring.....we are affecting their profits (people may be nervous to buy the gen as its so close to fake, or people will see how much cheaper the close rep is)

Edited by Dutchy

Selling reps is STEALING. It's illegal, counterfeit, piracy, whatever you want to call it... Those companies use tremendous amounts of money to marketing and quality control. Hublot is relatively small luxury watch brand (compared to Rolex and Omega anyway) and I suspect high end replicas are much bigger financial threat to them. If this weren't true, the guy wouldn't be surfing these forums now.

I have absolutely no moral objections of buying a rep and "ripping" the rich major watch brands that way... but it doesn't change the facts. It's THEIR PROPERTY and THEIR DESIGN. Don't go to their house and rub your counterfeit item against their nose... like I said it's very rude and distasteful.

That's why I've been saying that we should make this forum less accessible in Google... and keep low profile... it's only a matter of time before something negative happens.

I agree with this but, we should stop talking about it and get it done :mellow: ... at the least change the name or remove "replica" from it.. :unsure: .