When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Straps/Bracelets

montydog

Hi peeps,

This may be a dumb question but here goes. Is it possible to replace the bracelet on any Rolex with a strap? If so, can someone point me to a good source of suitable straps.

Many thanks

(frustrated Rolex loving, bracelet hating guy)

It is most certainly possible to replace a Rolex bracelet with a strap. It's just a case of removing the spring pins in the lugs, and the bracelet is off :D As for a good source for straps, I can't really help you there as the range is soooo huge, it is probably easier to hit up Google for some suggestions... My personal suggestions, are, for a more 'elegant' look, try to get a leather Daytona strap, as they have a nice solid deployment clasp with the Rolex logo on it. For a more 'rugged' look, then the most obvious choice is a black NATO strap. Of course, there's everything out there, but I'm afraid I don't really know any good strap dealers, so my advice remains to see what you can find on Google or even eBay. Best of luck :)

It is most certainly possible to replace a Rolex bracelet with a strap. It's just a case of removing the spring pins in the lugs, and the bracelet is off :D As for a good source for straps, I can't really help you there as the range is soooo huge, it is probably easier to hit up Google for some suggestions... My personal suggestions, are, for a more 'elegant' look, try to get a leather Daytona strap, as they have a nice solid deployment clasp with the Rolex logo on it. For a more 'rugged' look, then the most obvious choice is a black NATO strap. Of course, there's everything out there, but I'm afraid I don't really know any good strap dealers, so my advice remains to see what you can find on Google or even eBay. Best of luck :)

TeeJay,

Many thanks for your very useful reply. As a complete novice, this is just the kind of informed advice which makes this forum such a valuable resource.

Regards

Montydog

No problem at all, I'm glad to be of help and pass on what I've learned while here. Special tools are available for easier operation of the spring pins holding the bracelet in place, but, I'm sure your local hardware store will have a set of "Jeweller's Screwdrivers" (even a set from a Dollar Store will suffice) and the 1mm screwdriver is perfect for flicking down the sprung sections to then remove the bracelet. They are also usefull for locating the sprung sections back into the lug holes when the new bracelet/strap is fitted. If it is a leather strap, like on a Daytona, you might find it is best to insert one end of the pin, and then use the blade of a craft knife to operate the other sprung section, as that will slip between the strap and the lugs. Best of luck :)

No problem at all, I'm glad to be of help and pass on what I've learned while here. Special tools are available for easier operation of the spring pins holding the bracelet in place, but, I'm sure your local hardware store will have a set of "Jeweller's Screwdrivers" (even a set from a Dollar Store will suffice) and the 1mm screwdriver is perfect for flicking down the sprung sections to then remove the bracelet. They are also usefull for locating the sprung sections back into the lug holes when the new bracelet/strap is fitted. If it is a leather strap, like on a Daytona, you might find it is best to insert one end of the pin, and then use the blade of a craft knife to operate the other sprung section, as that will slip between the strap and the lugs. Best of luck :)

I think I've got a set similar screwdriver's from a computer upgrade kit. Thanks for the detailed info. Just got to track down some good straps.

I think I've got a set similar screwdriver's from a computer upgrade kit. Thanks for the detailed info. Just got to track down some good straps.

That set should certainly do the job, providing it has a 1mm flat-nose screwdriver. Again, no problem at all, I'm glad to be of help, and ironically, re-fit a strap to a watch less than an hour ago, when I remembered I had a cheap watch I could use for new spring-pins :D