When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with stubborn bracelet screws

mmg

Hello all,

I've been trying to resize this watch for a while now - even ordered nicer screwdrivers from Ofrei for it! Anyway I need two links removed from the band to size it for my hand, but I'll be damned if these screws even budge. I can tighten them about a half-turn further, however when I try to unscrew them, they go only forward that half-turn, and that's it. Eventually the screwdriver just pops outta the screw.

I even tried putting some DW40 on it, but its obviously not absorbing into where the screw-threads are.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

I've run into this problem as well and blew out the blade on a screw driver. The best I can figure out is that they are doing a finishing polish on these bracelets after putting them together. When I finally do get the screw out it is pretty gummy with a powdery residue. It looks like polishing compound is getting into the threads and locking it tight. I ended up writing off this particular bracelet and ordering another since they are not very expensive.

The test to see if you are going to run into this problem is to try and unscrew it using medium light finger pressure. If it doesn't budge, you are probably running into this problem. If you put any heavy torque on the screw you'll end up destroying the screw and probably the screwdriver as well. And from what I can see, the screws in every one of these bracelets are different so you'll never be able to get just a replacement screw if it is needed.

First thing to try is go to another link and see if that one will come out any easier. Other than that, I think you might be onto something with the WD-40. Next time I run into this problem I am just going to dump the whole bracelet into WD-40 and let it sit there for a couple of days to see if it can penetrate.

/Tim

Hello all,

I've been trying to resize this watch for a while now - even ordered nicer screwdrivers from Ofrei for it! Anyway I need two links removed from the band to size it for my hand, but I'll be damned if these screws even budge. I can tighten them about a half-turn further, however when I try to unscrew them, they go only forward that half-turn, and that's it. Eventually the screwdriver just pops outta the screw.

I even tried putting some DW40 on it, but its obviously not absorbing into where the screw-threads are.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Have to admit, you've already tried everything I'd've suggested for doing the adjustment yourself... My suggestion would be to take the watch into a small jewellers (not an AD of any kind) and get them to re-size it for you. If you keep on it yourself, you're liable to damage your tools and/or your watch, and if the screw's head gets stripped, no one will be able to get it out. I had to do that with my Planet Ocean after trying everything I could. Might be a case of having to leave it to the professionals...

What, professionals have better screw drivers? If it ain't coming out, it ain't coming out.

/Tim

No, but if they screw up the bracelet, at least their insurance will cover replacement costs. If you screw up the watch yourself, you're left with a screwed up watch...

Also, if they're not an AD, but an independant operation, they're less likely to be clued up on the 'tells' that it's a rep watch, but they'd still have to be insured to be running the business.

No, but if they screw up the bracelet, at least their insurance will cover replacement costs. If you screw up the watch yourself, you're left with a screwed up watch...

A new rep bracelet costs about $25. The next time I order a watch I just have them through in an extra bracelet.

/Tim

Soak it in WD40 inside a ziplock bag for a while. There might be some loctite on the threads, though, so this could be futile. But if you're using the right sized screwdriver blade you should be able to break it free. Make sure to apply downward force into the screw while you're twisting to help prevent the screw driver from coming out.

A new rep bracelet costs about $25. The next time I order a watch I just have them through in an extra bracelet.

/Tim

Good idea, but what if that extra bracelet also has a similar problem with screws jamming? For example, the most frequent grumbles I've heard about the Planet Oceans (of any generation) is that the screws in the bracelet are a [censored] to adjust, and that the crown threads are prone to stripping, so chances are a spare bracelet would have the same problem. I can certainly attest to that, as that was the case with mine. However, as I said, by taking the watch into a jewellers and having them struggle with the bracelet, I knew if anything happened, they would be paying for the replacement, not me...

What, professionals have better screw drivers? If it ain't coming out, it ain't coming out.

/Tim

this may hold alot more water than you would think. best thing i ever did was invest in a quality screw driver set. ive got a bergeon set for working inside the watches and a very expensive screwdriver with a myriad of replaceable heads, all in small sizes only and types including torx etc.

youd be surprised the ease with which things like these can be undone that before would have resulted in stripped threads, bent screwdriver tips and knackered screw heads.

while it may not solve your problem, id look at what screw driver you are using and how well it fits the slot. it should fit perfectly, all the way down with no slack whatsoever anywhere while also matching the length of the screw head too.

What sometimes, not always works for me is to soak the offending screws in Liquid Wrench, a penetrating oil, overnight. Then I take a tiny screwdriver, put the blade against the screw head and tap the screwdriver with a jewelers hammer. Sometimes the vibrations from this action loosen the screw a bit. Then try to unscrew it, using slow, heavy pressure.

I can't overstate the importance of using a screwdriver with the proper size blade tip - the tip fits into the screw slot perfectly, edge to edge, not too small or too large.

I had the same problem several times with sub bands. I removed the band, laid it out on my vice and SLOWLY heated the stuborn area with a jewlers torch...putting heat on the link, not the screw. The heating did slightly discolor the finish but a little ScotchBright brought it right back.

Every time I did find a trace of some sort of residue on the threads.

You gotta love the quality control.