When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

WM Vintage 1675 GMT

yt74

So I bought this WM Vintage 1675 GMT from another member, I paid a pretty penny, and before you all start, I know the WM/MBW GMT has quite a few faults. I just love my MBW DRSD so much I really wanted to feel the same love for a vintage GMT. However, when I was trying to dig up some more details on the WM 1675, I didn't find much here, on the TRC, RWG I or RWI. So after quite a bit of debate, I went ahead and took the plunge. I was prepared to drill the lugs, switch out the bracelet and live with the case size. I also planned to vintagize the case and maybe even try crownguard milling. The dial looked great, as it had already been modded for the previous owner. So today I started to do work on some of my mods and this is what I found:

The Movement:

I was really hoping for a 2893-2, from my understanding the WM 1675 would have a 2893. Needless to say when I opened the caseback and saw a 2836-2 staring back at me, I was very disappointed. To be fair the seller told me he didn't know what movement was in the watch, should have been a clue right there, I rolled the dice and lost.

The Bezel:

I got really puzzled when I popped of the bezel and found this:

It was my understanding that the WM 1675 used a sub case (1680?) This is clearly not the set up for any WM/MBW I have ever seen. It is the same set up I have seen in the cheaper CN subs like the Noobmariner.

The Clasp:

I was already a little suspicous when I looked at the diver extension on the (incorrect) bracelet, it is very different than my 1665.

Here is the case:

And Bezel:

And the whole set up disassembled:

So I am hoping somebody can help me out here, is this a WM 1675? I am already kicking myself for shelling out this kind of cash for a non-2893 watch, and to make things worse the GMT hand does not adjust with counterclockwise turns on the date set position. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by yt74

Yeah it looks like WM 1675. It's highly inaccurate though... this model uses the 1680 case and crystal. Because something is called "MBW" or "WM" it doesn't guarantee the accuracy. It's a nice looking watch and I wouldn't mind wearing it... but not very accurate.

But I recall the gen 1675 doesn't have independently settable GMT hand, either. I could be wrong though...

I wrote a small word of warning about this model in my "MBW introduction" review:

http://www.rwg.cc/member/Review-Of-Modded-...riner-t927.html

It is what it was adverised as being.

It is also a miserable POS - I should know, I have two.

Don't let it get wet. Neither of mine will survive a dash from the house to the car on a humid day.

BTW - I sent one to Ziggy and he sent it back. I'll not put words in his mouth (even if they came out of it) so I'll let him tell you what a fine piece this is if he is so inclined.

Bill

I could be wrong but judging from your bezel ring and case, I believe you have the TW case used for the MBW/WM 16710. If you could swap the 1675 dial to that of a 16710 and install a sapphire crystal, you could be in good shape.

Bill's comments on lack of water resistance makes perfect sense if trying to accomplish a proper seal with an acrylic crystal on a case that is not designed for it.

BTW, the TW 16710 from WM & MBW, was available with the 2893-2. As far as I know, the 1675 of both were only available with the 2836-2.

Best of luck.