When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I buy this watch?

MikeC65

I have been offered a gen BCE from a saleperson at an AD. He won it as a sales incentive from Breitling but would rather have money. It is the slate dial with black subdials and a crocodile strap. He has had it for about a month and has worn it a few times but it certainly looks brand new. Comes with box and all paperwork. He wants $2200 for it which is 50% off list.

Seems like a decent deal to me (particularly when the rep with swiss 7750 is $628 with leather strap on Andrew's site), what do you all think? I would love to have a gen BCE.

Edited by MikeC65

I have been offered a gen BCE from a saleperson at an AD. He won it as a sales incentive from Breitling but would rather have money. It is the slate dial with black subdials and a crocodile strap. He has had it for about a month and has worn it a few times but it certainly looks brand new. Comes with box and all paperwork. He wants $2200 for it which is 50% off list.

Seems like a decent deal to me (particularly when the rep with swiss 7750 is $628 with leather strap on Andrew's site), what do you all think? I would love to have a gen BCE.

Can't go wrong with a 50% discount on a name brand from an AD. Typical you'll find in gray market is 30%. Makes sure he passes through the full warranty.

/Tim

Guest chronomat123

I agree with everyone above me. It's an awesome deal on a great watch. That dial combo is the nicest one out there, too. Besides, if you tire of the gen BCE, you can easily recover your money.

Get it, and if you don't like it, I'll trade ya my Breitling Emergency for it!

:)

• 1 month later...

Well, I got it!! Here are a few wrist shots:

244829-8777.jpg244829-8778.jpg

So, now that I have a gen to compare the "Ultimate BCE" rep to, here are my brief observations:

Even to my non-expert eye, when you put the gen next to the "Ultimate BCE", you can instantly see which is which. Aside from the major tell of the date font, which is very very obvious, overall the printing on the dial is much finer on the real thing. All the lines and characters all over the dial are much thinner and sharper. In general the rep just looks, well, cruder. Also the case engraving on the gen is far better. Some other flaws I noticed are that the rep didn't quite get the shape of the crown right, the spacing on the engraving on the back of the watch doesn't quite match the gen, and the position of the model number and serial number engraved on the caseback is wrong.

Having said all that, however, I must say how impressed I am with the rep. The differences are certainly subtle. The rep doesn't look in any way crude by itself, it looks great -- until you put it next to the real thing. Without having it side by side with a gen, you really aren't going to notice anything wrong -- except for that date font! I don't know why it seems to be so hard to get that right, it sticks out like crazy. Yeah, the gen looks far better, but when you're comparing a $4,000 watch to a $300 watch, it isn't that the gen looks better, it's that the rep is so close. Anyone thinking of getting one, go for it -- you won't be disappointed. Still, though, nothing matches the look of the real thing!

Now that I have a gen and I can see how close the rep is, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a TT BCE rep. I love the look of those, and I'm not getting a gen, that's for sure!!

Damn fine timepiece :1a: The ultimate BCE really looks very close and I am sure the fit and finish can't compare. I went to the AD to compare myself and after holding and trying on the BCE you can feel the quality.

you did get a very nice deal. The AD sales the BCE for 3400 for the watch and 1000 for the bracelet or 600 for the leather strap.

600 for the leather strap or 1000 for the bracelet.....? :huh:

Well, I got it!! Here are a few wrist shots:

244899-8761.jpg244899-8762.jpg

So, now that I have a gen to compare the "Ultimate BCE" rep to, here are my brief observations:

Even to my non-expert eye, when you put the gen next to the "Ultimate BCE", you can instantly see which is which. Aside from the major tell of the date font, which is very very obvious, overall the printing on the dial is much finer on the real thing. All the lines and characters all over the dial are much thinner and sharper. In general the rep just looks, well, cruder. Also the case engraving on the gen is far better. Some other flaws I noticed are that the rep didn't quite get the shape of the crown right, the spacing on the engraving on the back of the watch doesn't quite match the gen, and the position of the model number and serial number engraved on the caseback is wrong.

Having said all that, however, I must say how impressed I am with the rep. The differences are certainly subtle. The rep doesn't look in any way crude by itself, it looks great -- until you put it next to the real thing. Without having it side by side with a gen, you really aren't going to notice anything wrong -- except for that date font! I don't know why it seems to be so hard to get that right, it sticks out like crazy. Yeah, the gen looks far better, but when you're comparing a $4,000 watch to a $300 watch, it isn't that the gen looks better, it's that the rep is so close. Anyone thinking of getting one, go for it -- you won't be disappointed. Still, though, nothing matches the look of the real thing!

Now that I have a gen and I can see how close the rep is, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a TT BCE rep. I love the look of those, and I'm not getting a gen, that's for sure!!

[/quote

Grrrrrrrrr...........I'd just taken this off my wishlist and now having seen the photos I've got to put it back on. When will it ever end?

Lovely watch though and you got a great deal.