When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Repaiman convinced UPO from Josh Gen

jomama

Strange story but a testiment to how good these reps are. I visited a local jewler who is not AD but sells Rolex, cartier and other high end watch as well as works on them. I can tell he is not on top of Omega's but definitly does all his work onsite with his father in back of shop.

I went in to get my new SMP from josh sized as I could not get the screws out and almost ruined band trying. I removed watch case and clsp and only brought in band as I needed one link removed from each end. He was able to do this but asked where watch was. I explained I did not want it ruined as I was working on it at home. I inquired if he did servicing work on all watches. he said yes. I said I had some watches but was not sure if real because my brother gave them to me as gifts and did not want to question him. He said bring in and he would be happy to determine. he said He would not waterproof fake watches as they are junk and cannot be waterproofed. I said OK as e had no problem with reps etc.

I came back in today with the SMP so he could finish the links and assemble the band as I could not get screw pin in the last link (quite a frustrating process). I told him I called my brother to tell him I needed one of the watches he gave me serviced and my brother had to confess they were reps. he looked at the SMP and said "this is a fake??" He could not believe it. I took off my UPO I was wearing and asked him to pop it open to tell me if he thought it was OK watch regardless.

He took it in back where I could see him and his father working and looking at it. He came back and told me he and his father believed the UPO was gen as the markings on back of cases and anti-magnetic would cost too much to put on a rep. I told him my brother travels to SE Asia and told me it was a rep. he said "someone may have sold him a gen by mistake as this looks perfect"

Now granted he may not be all over Omegas but the guy works with Rolexes everyday and sells some of them used in his shop {that clients have sold him). I asked if he would waterproof and he was still convinced it was gen and told me to wear it in shower and if it is OK, then wear swimming. I asked if it fogged or leaked could he repair. He said absolutly and would be happy to service my other reps. Yea, I have a watch repairman!

he came back and told me the SMP was fake as the band and crown gave away so he knew somethings....

Interesting story but.....

any watchmaker or repairer would know in a heartbeat if a watch was fake or not just by looking at the movement.

The movement in the PO is an ETA 2824 NOT an Omega movement, surely he should have known this....... and as you say he works on rolexes etc so he should know about movements

ajoesmith:

Upon further review and stepping back from the excitement, you are right. I would imagine an experienced high-end watch repairman should know that inside an Omega would be an Omega movement and labled as such. Guess he aint that good.

On the brighter side, I feel I can get some of my watches wterproofed and/or serviced. He was familier with the ETA movements....

That's great news!

I have a watch repairman in my neighbourhood. He is old as f*ck, 85+, but damn skilled.

He has this "certified Omega service organization"-sign on the door.

Lucky me, he works on reps too.

He said a few times, that "our" high end reps are of great quality, although the movement is a dead giveaway.

He was suprised by the price we pay for such quality.