When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

please do not rep this...

longshot

Mmmmmm...not my cup of tea.

As for the press release that mentions the launching of Titanic II in 2012 out of Belfast, this is all internet rumor and hearsay. Plans to rebuild everything from an exact replica, (including coal burning steam engines, a plan that went up in smoke when the proposers realized there were no coal loading facillities at major ports any more) to larger but still true to the original design intent replicas of Titanic, have been floating around the internet for years. The cost would be around half a billion dollars and, the replica vessel would be one of the smallest liners built for decades requiring a premium price from passengers to offset building costs. Lots of enthusiastic website start ups, but when the time comes to put design to paper and to get investors to commit, most of these hare brained resurrection schemes quickly fade.

Wow! I absolutely love that watch! As someone who had a (albeit distant) relation on the Titanic, I think it is a fascinating watch, but indeed, please do not rep this watch, that would be distastefull.

You'd find a replica in bad taste but a watch that used scavanged steel from the ship's resting site on the ocean floor a facinating build???

Personally, I'm with the purists on this one. The raping of the gravesite is reprehensible. They should let the ship and it's occupants RIP.

You'd find a replica in bad taste but a watch that used scavanged steel from the ship's resting site on the ocean floor a facinating build???

Personally, I'm with the purists on this one. The raping of the gravesite is reprehensible. They should let the ship and it's occupants RIP.

One is genuine materials, the other would not be.

I can see the point that it is a graveyard, but as someone with a personal connection to the Titanic, I am not (perhaps I should be) mightily offended by it. If anything, I think these watches should not be sold at all, and given solely to direct descendents of those who died (which would count me out, as they were a distant relation, several times removed)

One is genuine materials, the other would not be.

I can see the point that it is a graveyard, but as someone with a personal connection to the Titanic, I am not (perhaps I should be) mightily offended by it. If anything, I think these watches should not be sold at all, and given solely to direct descendents of those who died (which would count me out, as they were a distant relation, several times removed)

Your logic is dizzying :rolleyes:

Ah...... no, I come from a long line of pizza dough tossers and gun weilding Sicillian debt collectors. My Grandfather did get seasick on his nephew's boat once off Atlantic City and threw up over the side.

So with the greatest of respect, no need to be offended on behalf of those who did (or do)...

As I said, I can see the point that it is a graveyard, and grave desecration is reprehensible. However. I cannot ignore, from a historical perspective, how interesting it is that the watches are made from reclaimed metal from the Titanic. As I said, perhaps I should be more offended by it than I am, but with my grandmother's funeral in a few weeks, that's at the top of my 'grief list' at the moment, and, as I said, I think it would be a nicer gesture for the company who made them to give them to descendents of those who died rather than just selling them.

PS Gun wielding debt collectors, eh? I don't suppose there is a 'UK Division'? My mother in law could certainly use their services against her ex husband who never paid a penny in maintenance or child support. (Son of a [censored] now drives round in a brand new Mercedes, and takes frequent cruises around the Med and North Africa :angry: ) Needless to say, he's not getting a wedding invitation...

The crow's nest, wine bottles, shoes, even Ballard's memorial plaque left in 1985 have all been lifted along with thousands of other "artifacts". I guess it's inevitable. The pyramids were picked clean over the centuries. Hell they're even selling Twin Towers Memorial coins made with metal recovered from ground zero.

IMO, if they wanted to make a Titanic memorial timepiece, they could have paid a tribute without smelting parts of the ship dragged up after 95 years.

The crow's nest, wine bottles, shoes, even Ballard's memorial plaque left in 1985 have all been lifted along with thousands of other "artifacts". I guess it's inevitable. The pyramids were picked clean over the centuries. Hell they're even selling Twin Towers Memorial coins made with metal recovered from ground zero.

IMO, if they wanted to make a Titanic memorial timepiece, they could have paid a tribute without smelting parts of the ship dragged up after 95 years.

That's very true.

Ah...... no, I come from a long line of pizza dough tossers and gun weilding Sicillian debt collectors. My Grandfather did get seasick on his nephew's boat once off Atlantic City and threw up over the side.

Hey, I think we are related!!

dang ;)

i'm more bothered by yet another spoiled rich kid (see kobold) getting into the watch business :whistling:

Exactly... I'm going to get a bunch of bumper stickers printed that say, "Honk if you're starting a luxury watch company"

Don't know about you guys but, moral issues aside, i think it is a very interesting watch/concept.. :huh:

I liek the idea of using special materials in watches (like SUbmarine steel in the U1 and U2) or the radioactive nuclear missle steel in a Soviet watch that can make you infertile in 24hours :p

Don't know about you guys but, moral issues aside, i think it is a very interesting watch/concept.. :huh:

I liek the idea of using special materials in watches (like SUbmarine steel in the U1 and U2) or the radioactive nuclear missle steel in a Soviet watch that can make you infertile in 24hours :p

That was precicely my thoughts as well, that it was an interesting concept and use of materials.