When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ultimate PO - Date and Date Window

Watchmeister

I wandered by an AD's window the other day while wearing one. Now I didn't step in and have him pull it out of the window however I would swear that the date and date window are a different size on the rep versus gen. It wouldn't be surprising as the gen actually has a non ETA co-axial movement. I would assume this is a pretty obvious flaw (more so than a slightly crooked logo) so I am wondering if it is just my eyes, the angle of the watch in the window or whatever. Anyone with a gen have any comments?

Which version of the uPO are we talking about here? Asian DG8413 movement version or ETA2824 version? The Asian has a different, larger datefont, but the datewheel sits closer to the dial also making the date window look even smaller.

ETA version looks perfect to my eyes.

Another thing to be aware of is that gen and rep both have an indent around the date window that isn't immediately obvious unless viewed under the bright lights of, say, an AD window display..... :)

Thanks for the comments. I did catch the difference in the window outline and date font. The font can be fixed. I have a more fundamental question. Is the date window and date itself in the same place and the same size. At a minimum the window seems to extend fully between two hour markers on the gen versus smaller on ours. Then again, are the markers themselves on a gen dial a different size. Actually this question could be definitively answered if someone else has tried fitting a gen dial. I am willing to give it a try as my PO's are off to Ziggy for crown and relume but don't want to buy a dial if the date is not going to line up. :)

I'm pretty sure it would fit the ETA version, and likely the Lite version as well. Lots of members have done dial swaps with the 42mm version without problems, and as both watches use the same movements, I don't see any issue with that. Now, whether the outside diameter is identical to the gen would be more of a concern to me. I haven't seen anyone do this swap, as the gen dial will run about $200+shipping.

The Co-axial movement is based on a 2892 and i believe that the date wheel positioning will be the same for a 2824 as they have the same outside diameter and date wheel i think. (sure i will be corrected if i am wrong on this) so the date window will be the same for gen and rep with a chish 2824.

I was just at the AD doing a comparison. The gen has a little step down before the bevel begins, which gives the opening more definition. The surprising thing is that I went to a second AD, and all the POs they had, had a window similar to our reps. Only the PO chrono had the 2-step bevel. I wonder if there has been a slight change in design?

Looks kind of like this...

post-419-1176837328_thumb.jpg

Edited by andreww