When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam

mdub83

In the marker for a new watch. Had a Tag Carrera chrono, but it was stolen today. So I've been looking at some Pam Power Reserves, any opinions on these or the Asian 21J movement?

Thanks.

Expensive watch unless you buy it with an Asian movement. I'd advise you not to do that. Tim

Expensive watch unless you buy it with an Asian movement. I'd advise you not to do that. Tim

why do you advise not to buy an asian 21j PR?!!!

I had the 090 and it worked great...sold it to a friend of mine that still has it and still works great...in all, the watch is old 1 yr. and everything works fine...As I remember, all the reviews about the asian 21j used in the PR PAM's were positive...Look at silix website, some nice prices on the 027 with asian 21j...

why do you advise not to buy an asian 21j PR?!!!

I had the 090 and it worked great...sold it to a friend of mine that still has it and still works great...in all, the watch is old 1 yr. and everything works fine...As I remember, all the reviews about the asian 21j used in the PR PAM's were positive...Look at silix website, some nice prices on the 027 with asian 21j...

I think he meant that he didn't advise buying the swiss movement. Those are indeed expensive for the power reserve. I have two asian 21j movements, and they both work great. Couldn't be happier.

I think he meant that he didn't advise buying the swiss movement. Those are indeed expensive for the power reserve. I have two asian 21j movements, and they both work great. Couldn't be happier.

well, if he tought that, he is again wrong...Those PR PAM's with the 2892-A2 movement are indeed expensive but this kind of mvt is in the original PAM's with PR as the 027,028,057...and I don't think it is too much paying 500$ for such a rep with such movement...If you have the money, go for it...you won't regret...I have just rece4ntly bought the PAM027 with the 2892-A2 movement...just lovely!...this kind of mvt PAM's are reps that will last forever...remember, it is genuine ETA mvt inside...

I have two 027 and one 090, all them with Asian 21J, and I am completely satisfied with them.

well, if he tought that, he is again wrong...Those PR PAM's with the 2892-A2 movement are indeed expensive but this kind of mvt is in the original PAM's with PR as the 027,028,057...and I don't think it is too much paying 500$ for such a rep with such movement...If you have the money, go for it...you won't regret...I have just recently bought the PAM027 with the 2892-A2 movement...just lovely!...this kind of mvt PAM's are reps that will last forever...remember, it is genuine ETA mvt inside...

Apparently everyone is satisfied with their 2892-A2's (2893) and 21J movements. Good, I'm pleased about that. However, the guy asked me my opinion and I gave it, end of story. Sorry to have created a fuss. Won't do that again. Mine has the Swiss movement and it is rock solid.

Apparently everyone is satisfied with their 2892-A2's (2893) and 21J movements. Good, I'm pleased about that. However, the guy asked me my opinion and I gave it, end of story. Sorry to have created a fuss. Won't do that again. Mine has the Swiss movement and it is rock solid.

like you said your opinion, I said mine...no problem at all for me...I just think that this two movements are great for the money you pay...Imagine today, with all this high end reps...with the asian 7750 mvt as the HBB...paying them as the PAM027 with genuine ETA 2892-A2 movement...that's not comparable...

and all the reps using the asian 21j movement...they are great...you pay them something like 100$ and you can wear them for years...the only probl with them that pops out is when they need to be repaired...but you can source a cheap movement (the same one) for 20$...

there have been a number of discussions on the forum about the asian 21j movements...and most of the members were more than satisfied with the quality...

and if you ask owners of the 2892-A2 movement powered reps...you'll get the same answer...

As a owner of four PR PAMs, one with the ETA 2892-A2 and three with the Asian 21J, and having compared both them, my humble (and quite obvious) opinion is:

- Best quality is naturally of the 2892-A2, it's even worth its price.

- But best value (performance/price ratio) is of the Asian 21J. Silix has the 027 @ 80 USD -- i.e. about 15% of the ETA model! -- and that is simply the best watch you can get for that money.

- Between the Asian 027 and the Asian 090 I would go for the 027. Its date changing is not via a push button @ 8 o'clock like the 090, and I personally prefer the long central second hand and the central placement of the PR gauge.

By lacking the datechange pusher, the 027 can get modded to a quite accurate while the 090 can't.

like you said your opinion, I said mine...no problem at all for me...I just think that this two movements are great for the money you pay...Imagine today, with all this high end reps...with the asian 7750 mvt as the HBB...paying them as the PAM027 with genuine ETA 2892-A2 movement...that's not comparable...

and all the reps using the asian 21j movement...they are great...you pay them something like 100$ and you can wear them for years...the only probl with them that pops out is when they need to be repaired...but you can source a cheap movement (the same one) for 20$...

there have been a number of discussions on the forum about the asian 21j movements...and most of the members were more than satisfied with the quality...

and if you ask owners of the 2892-A2 movement powered reps...you'll get the same answer...

Exactly. The 2892-A2 movement is quality, and there's no way you can compare that type of quality to an Asian 7750 inside an HHB. With the 027/28 Power Reserve you have a watch that will last you a life time, regardless of the price. With the HHB with the A7750 you have a chrono that you dare not activate (been there, done it - sits in my dresser drawer now) and you pay near amount the same money. The HHB is a hot looking watch, and, I'd like to buy one, but, sooner, rather than later, it's still going to be a hot looking watch that sits in a drawer in your bedroom.

I never gave much consideration to what you wrote about the 21j movement dying and then replacing it for 20 bucks. Hmmm, you're right! Makes sense. Buy the watch with a spare movement. Sort of like the spare tire we have in our cars. Hahahaha! A plan!

Tim