When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Project Concept

TeeJay

I had the idea while on the bus, and thought it should be a relatively easy project, simply swapping a dial over. I knocked up a photoshop concept image, and wondered what people thought. Should I go for it? Has anyone else tackled this build before? If so, please share the pics and any difficulties that arose :)

240097-10085.jpg

Thought of it quite a while back but i think the sub has the timing markers on the bezel for the purpose of diving

I think that is indeed the case, but, it would be possible to use the GMT bezel in the same way while diving (which to be honest, I do not do very often at all :D ) and the watch would have the GMT bezel. Essentially, it would be an untouched GMT watch, but with the dial swapped for the Submariner dial. The second phase of the plan is to fit a Tropical crystal and no-date Submariner dial to the dial-less Submariner, so I'd then have a dateless sub as well :)

I had another idea for the SubGMT while walking to meet my fiance from work, and a little tweaking of the photoshopped image brought it to life. When I showed her, this was the variant she prefered (compared to the Black on black and traditional Pepsi bezel inserts) If I were to go with the LV option, it will wind up on my black NATO strap (Having seen a similar watch in a member's signature and liking the look) If I were to go with 'black on black', it would either be a dark brown leather Daytona deployant, or the existing SS bracelet. If folks would like to compare the two and give a preference, that would be equally welcome as other suggestions or experiences with the build.

240229-10046.jpg