When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something very interesting.......

I just got a gold acid test kit off of ebay and have been messing around with it. I bought it because I am always buying estate jewelry and going to flea markets. I decided to test my two tone daytona from Paul. I took out a link scraped it on the stone and put the 14K acid on the sample. The color changed a little dark and the sample started to fade. Interesting because there was still gold metallic color in the acid. So I tested another scratch with 10K acid and it floated to the top and got a lot brighter gold metallic color. My estimation from what I have read about these tests is that the gold is actually solid 12K. I know they claim 14K or 18K, but this is definately solid gold. I tested one of the pushers which are a different color and it turned silver. The pushers and crown are a different color than the links, but I am guessing the are also solid gold of a much lower karat by the way the acid reacted. I also tested some known gold plated objects to see how they reacted and had a totally different result. The scratches turned silver and faded away. Very interesting to know. I am surprised noone has done this before. These kits aren't expensive and are more accurate than even dumping a link into a cup of sulfuric acid. Brass will react the same way as gold in a cup of acid showing gold through and through but the scratch test doesn't lie.

If anyone wants something tested I would be happy to do it at no charge (as any pawn shop would as well). This is actually a lot of fun using these acids. If any dealers want to claim solid gold send me a sample and I will post the results on the board. I just wish there were more solid gold watches available.

I recall a few years back one of our members actually melted down a "solid gold" link to test if in fact it was solid gold. Don't quite remember how this test was done, perhaps by the melting point difference. Regardless, it was proved to be solid gold. The discussion went further by a metalllurgist, or some such, that told how low carat solid gold was not as expensive as one might think. This was the best article I have ever read on the solild gold issue. It would be a super article to unearth again.

I recall a few years back one of our members actually melted down a "solid gold" link to test if in fact it was solid gold. Don't quite remember how this test was done, perhaps by the melting point difference. Regardless, it was proved to be solid gold. The discussion went further by a metalllurgist, or some such, that told how low carat solid gold was not as expensive as one might think. This was the best article I have ever read on the solild gold issue. It would be a super article to unearth again.

It is maybe This thread you remember? Interesting, yes! I have had a liking for the two-tone blue dial Submariner, but never bought one... I think that could be a big seller if it was done right! :)

Thanks for the info JF!

...because the test determines only the karate of your gold, but if the plating is thick enough could hide the true metal

This is the same test that jewelers and pawn shops use. The acid breaks down the gold to determine it's content. The gold plating proces changes the molecular structure of the gold thus having a different effect with the acids. There is no gold plating that will test positive for real gold no matter how thick.

oh, good to know :)

This is great info, but I still don't see why anyone would pay extra for 14k (or I guess 12.5K) gold in watch. 14K looks totally different than 18k, making your watch arguably less accurate. Since the weight would still not be right w/ 14K, I'd much rather have some rep factory invest their capital in PVD gold plating than 14k gold, which would look like 18k and solve the durability problem of electroplating. If I liked TT rolexes, I'd also consider buying an OEM gold crown, one of those aftermarket 18k bezels and TT bracelets from a reputable source. Making a gold watch truly 1:1 is expensive--no way around it.

Sorry guys, I have sold gold testing equipment for a long time. A pawnbroker or jeweler will FILE it first and then drop the acid on it to get past real heavy plating if they are going to buy. Just scratching it on a stone sometimes is not deep enough.

This is great info, but ... I'd much rather have some rep factory invest their capital in PVD gold plating than 14k gold, which would look like 18k and solve the durability problem of electroplating.

A very senseful thought (as always, by archibald). :clap2: