When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Navis and AR Run 2 Post Mortem

You might have seen the many pictures from flav of watch crystals he reassembled from the 2nd AR run. If not, follow the link to the pics in my signature. The run went very well accept for three Navitimer crystals. Apparently the Navitimer has a light coating of some sort (visible or not). During the AR run, my coater was unable to detect this coating prior to applying the new AR. The chemical reaction of the new AR on top of the old AR resulted in the Navi crystals turning a yellow color as opposed to the normal blue. Big disappointment for the owner of these crystals, but unavoidable. I do suspect that stripping of the rep AR coating would be possible, however. And now we know it is necessary.

FYI

Chief

You might have seen the many pictures from flav of watch crystals he reassembled from the 2nd AR run. If not, follow the link to the pics in my signature. The run went very well accept for three Navitimer crystals. Apparently the Navitimer has a light coating of some sort (visible or not). During the AR run, my coater was unable to detect this coating prior to applying the new AR. The chemical reaction of the new AR on top of the old AR resulted in the Navi crystals turning a yellow color as opposed to the normal blue. Big disappointment for the owner of these crystals, but unavoidable. I do suspect that stripping of the rep AR coating would be possible, however. And now we know it is necessary.

FYI

Chief

Oh poo :wounded1:

Did all the Navi crystals do exactly this? I'm hoping that The Zigmeister managed to strip mine of it's light AR before sending it to you for Run 3, but maybe stripping the AR isn't enough and there will always be this reaction between the old and new AR processes?

Edited by Rob1

Did all the Navi crystals do exactly this? I'm hoping that The Zigmeister managed to strip mine of it's light AR before sending it to you for Run 3, but maybe stripping the AR isn't enough and there will always be this reaction between the old and new AR processes?

All 3 that were in run 2 did this. But none of the three had it stripped. If The Zigmeister has stripped the old coating, you should be fine. The stripping is not difficult.

i own the navi crystals :-)

they are somewhat yellow but actually upon inspection, i feel they are not that bad at all! it appears more yellow when the spectrum of light is reflected from the bottom of the crystal and more blue if the light being reflected is from the top of the crystal. they really ARE NOT THAT BAD. infact i will use them as is.. i will try and post some pics when i get a chance..

i never-ever-ever noticed or suspected they had a ar coating of any kind!

all three are from different dealers.

all three are from different times of purchase (0-18months)

all three are different versions... one TT, on SS and one modern(3,6,9)

Did all the Navi crystals do exactly this? I'm hoping that Ziggy managed to strip mine of it's light AR before sending it to you for Run 3, but maybe stripping the AR isn't enough and there will always be this reaction between the old and new AR processes?

If I remember correctly, I did strip yours.

I use 1500 grit sandpaper to do the stripping, and finish it off with 3600 grit. Cleans it all off.

RG

Ziggy, what would you recommend for removing some of the residue that is left on the glass when a cyclops lens is installed?

Thanks.

Acetone disolves the UV glue, but normally the glue is hardened, and I scrape it off with a xacto knife, and finish it off with a wet rag dipped in acetone. It should come clean.

RG