When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can I & How do I swap Daytona bezels?

freddy333

Two part question --

a. Will the bezel FROM this Daytona 6263 rep (case is 40mm dia x 10mm height) fit ON this Pre Daytona (case is 37mm dia x 12.5 height)? If not, anyone know where I can source one that will?

b. Will the manual wind Venus chrono in the 6263 (which is installed with a plastic retaining ring around it) fit into the smaller Pre Daytona case?

How do you remove the bezels on both of these watches? I am considering getting one of those $175 Rolex bezel removers, but it is a bit expensive and I do not want to purchase it if it does not remove these two bezels.

Until I can source a good DW Paul Newman with non-screw pushers, I decided to put a bit more effort into correcting a few of the remaining issues on my existing Venus based Paul Newman

post-3175-1178306515_thumb.jpg

Currently, this watch has one of the larger 6263 style of cases, which is incorrect for the PN. That is (excluding the case back and bezel), it is both wider and taller than the gen Paul Newman case. Viewed from the side, the lugs are much too tall and do not come to narrow points as on the gen PN.

However, I found that the case (excluding the bezel and case back) used on these Pre Daytona reps is almost exactly the same dimensions as the gen PNs. If I can swap bezel and transplant my Venus movement into the case, it will be a nice improvement. So I was wondering if anyone has tried this before? And what tool is required to r&r both bezels?

I do not think that the bezels would be swappable, neither the movement.

Removing the bezel is actually quite easy. There are several methods that you can carefully try.

I happen to have a special case opening flat-shaped tool that looks like a ultra-thin screwdriver. I pry this between the bezel and case, and then I twist the tool slightly to pop off the bezel. Try finding a well-made thin flat screwdriver. Add a little masking tape to the tip so as to not scratch the case + bezel. You can wedge the screwdriver between the case & bezel by gently tapping it with a screwdriver (or some other small but heavy object).

You can also try using a razor blade. Wedge the blade between the bezel and case by gently taping it with a small hammer. Then twist the blade. Repeat a couple of times around the bezel. It will slowly pry the bezel off.

***Hint: I use the razor blade method to remove the crystal retaining ring on genuine and rep vintage Rolex sports models (then I use a special round steel die to hammer the crystal retaining ring back onto the case - creating a hermetically-sealed fit).

Please: take your time & be careful! Don't apply too much pressure on the blade or it will break!

Cheers :)

I was hoping for better news, especially since the case is an almost perfect for a PN. It would have been a nice way to tide myself over until I can locate a DW.

For the record -- I think this case is the basis for many of the better Daytona frankenwatches. If you view the case from the side and then compare it to the side photos of a genuine PN Daytona, it looks like an exact match, even down to the narrow body and pointed tips of the lugs. If the holes for the pushers were just asymmetrical, this case would be perfect base for a V72-based franken.

For those of us with access to a good drill press -- The same case (without the chrono holes) is also used on other vintage Rolex reps. So another option might be to drill your own pusher holes to fit a V72 or other movement. Of course, you would still need to source the correct bezel, etc.

Oh well.

Thank you Euno

I have a pre-daytona rep (different dial to the one you are referring to but I believe same case) and a sapare steel bezel from an EE Daytona. I have tried the bezel for fit to the pre-daytona but the glass diameter is too wide for the bezel to fit. It's close but the bezel will not push on at all. Hope this is of some use.