When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintaging techniques

TeeJay

I thought it might be nice to have a thread to share tips and advice on vintaging watches. So far, I have found that a daylight bulb was good for vintaging dial lume, and bleaching a strap also had an aging effect. I had an idea for vintaging a case, and wondered what people thought...

Empty case, with some electricians tape over the crystal, and strategic places on the bezel insert, then 'skimmed' over loose gravel, like one would skim a stone over water. My theory is that the rotation of the case, and differing texture of the gravel would create totally random nicks in the case, rather than say taking a wire brush and buffing in certain directions...

What do people think? Good idea, or would the damage be 'too much'? Any other tips and advice would be most welcome :)

Ive vintagized 3 diff subs. One method was to take an empty plastic peanut butter jar (cleaned or not...lol), fill 1/3 to 1/2 way with pennies, throw in the watch, and shake away. Checking every 30 sec. On my 3rd vintagizing project I was lucky enough to have an unrestored 5512 to "copy" off of. I used a few methods, but a good start is the penny method. If you get unhappy with any markings on the acrylic crystal, take 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand them out. Then with firm pressure, rub toothpaste back and forth(on a wash cloth) and watch it turn clear.

D

Ive vintagized 3 diff subs. One method was to take an empty plastic peanut butter jar (cleaned or not...lol), fill 1/3 to 1/2 way with pennies, throw in the watch, and shake away. Checking every 30 sec. On my 3rd vintagizing project I was lucky enough to have an unrestored 5512 to "copy" off of. I used a few methods, but a good start is the penny method. If you get unhappy with any markings on the acrylic crystal, take 1500 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet sand them out. Then with firm pressure, rub toothpaste back and forth(on a wash cloth) and watch it turn clear.

D

That sounds like an excellent idea, and certainly less 'aggressive' than my skimming idea... Do you have any pics of the watches you used that method on as a demonstration? I'm hoping to get some photos of my bleached strap posted up tomorrow :)

I've thinking about the case "vintaging" myself. I have been thinking about using my tumbler and small gravel on a bare case with the vital areas taped off. I have an extra "practice" case to try this out on (I bought a cheap asian vintage rep. to practice mods on).

I also have a Sandoz diver that I wear daily as a beater. It's 10 years old but the ETA runs like a champ. It's actually performed better than most of my high end gens. (namely Omega-I've had a few problems with my SMP). After reading some of the threads here, I tried a few tricks on it. I bleached the bezel. I used a coffee cup with a little bleach in the bottom and set the watch down face first. I checked it every few minutes at first but nothing was happening. So I just left it in for about 45 minutes. That gave it the effect I was looking for. I then removed the cyclops using a little heat as described in a thread. Next I gouged up the case a little with misc. steel items like big bolts and screwdrivers and then rebuffed it. Next I installed a vintage rep. Rolex riveted band that I scuffed around here and there and re-rubbed with a scotch-brite pad rubbing at different angles for a more worn look. I then hand rubbed the band with polish to brighten back up a little. If only it had a plexi crystal! Funny thing is I've got several compliments on the watch since vintaged. I never have before vintaging :g: .

Getting ready to start on a "very worn and abused" submariner rep. project. Just need to source a 1680 MBW. I wish I had got in on that group buy. :wounded1: Check out the Sandoz:

243917-9000.jpg

Here's my old gen. refinished(??) dial I plan to use on the project:

243917-9001.jpg

Edited by predfan2001