When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can someone recommend a source for good DRSD & Comex dials?

freddy333

I would like to replace the dials in my WM/MBW DRSD and 5514 Comex no date Sub. I have checked out a number of sources, but every dial I have found contains one or more serious errors making them no better than the dials I already have. Can someone recommend a source?

I would like to replace the dials in my WM/MBW DRSD and 5514 Comex no date Sub. I have checked out a number of sources, but every dial I have found contains one or more serious errors making them no better than the dials I already have. Can someone recommend a source?

What range of price?

Try this site..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Dial-Double-Red-...oQQcmdZViewItem

DRSD Dials are pretty accurate but pricey. 5514 Comex dial are near impossible to find but try www.classicwatchparts.com but be clear to exactly what you want.

P.

Thank you for the great links.

But unfortunately I already have one of those DRSD dials. They are very sweet, but contain two big flaws -- the coronet and 6 & 9 index markers are all too narrow, and some smaller ones -- the text is unevenly spaced and the dial is just slightly glossy instead of being a flat matte color. But the tritium-like lume work on these looks OEM and is about the best I have seen (similar to Ziggy's work).

I have also checked the CWP site a few times, but have never seen either of these dials offered for sale. But I am sure that, like you said, they would be even more expensive if they had them. I will try again today.

Any other suggestions?

Yes, that is the same dial I have. If only the coronet and index markers were the correct width, or at least a bit wider. It is those narrow index markers that have kept me from using the dial, because that is one of the first things you see when you look at the watch and I have never seen a Sea-Dweller dial with such narrow index markers.

Just wondering, which movement do you have in your watch and did you have to remove the dial feet? My watch has a 2846 and I would need to remove the dial's feet to fit it. Not a big deal, but I was just wondering if that is what you did?

I have been contemplating that Comex dial too, but, like the DRSD dial, it also has some odd fonts (the 'Comex' font should be more squarish), more odd text spacing, and the bottom of the 2 lines below 'Comex' should be shorter than the line above it. I will keep searching, but in the end I may have to bite the bullet and get one of these dials anyway because I have not seen many other Comex dials.............

Hey Freddy, Well i guess these DRSD are so rare that only an expert could tell the difference and i always tell people its a replica of a very expensive and rare Rolex and that i put it together myself. I think people are more impressed by this than if you were wearing a 30k watch, most people i know would think i was crazy if i spent that much on a watch.

The movement is a 2836-2. I don't like the slower beat movement to me it gives it away as a rep. Rolex's always have a real smooth sweeping second hand and the 2846 seems like a Timex to me. Yeah i chopped the feet off and glued the dial on top of the spacer ring making sure the datewheel had enough room to move freely. A couple of layers of hypo cement does the trick.

Posted a pic of my 1665 Comex. Dial is pretty accurate only the short minute markers give it away as a redial. Good Comex dials are really hard to find but any are better than what are stock on any rep and again they're so rare...

P.

post-3074-1178811089_thumb.jpg

sounds to me like you are at a level where unfortuantely only a gen will do the job. sadly theres rather a large gulf between the best of the rep dials and the real deal in terms of accuracy on the vintage. why this is i dont know but theres always too many things off that jump right out at you.

even the one in the link above is poor and immediately obvious IMHO.

one option for your 5514 would be to get a non comex regular 5513 dial. you can pick one up for $500 or so dollars. not all 5514 were issued with comox logos so you will be fine with a non logo'd dial so long as it doesnt have WG surrounds.

if the $500 is too much i guess you are at a crossroads sadly as to what to do. the imperfections bother you but the level you need to spend to get it right is wrong.

im not sure if this comes along in every enthusiasts life but its a tricky one when it does thats for sure.

the swiss < t25 is a big shouting give away for me on the 1665 dial above

Edited by thewightstuff

I agree, and if I was able to source a gen 5514 Comex dial for $500, I would grab it. Trouble is, I have not seen any and I have a feeling if I found one it would cost alot more than $500. Still, I have to think that someone out there is making good rep or repainted Comex and DRSD dials. I mean if they can get a complicated dial like the modern Daytona right..........

Another alternative would be to buy a gen 5514 (non Comex) dial and find a way to place the Comex label on it myself. But I have not been able to figure out a way to do that (correctly).

You are right about the <t25, but only a very few collectors would ever notice that and only at very close range. I am more concerned with having a watch that passes for gen in a restaurant or something like that. And since you can easily see the index markers from several feet away, I think it is more likely that someone will spot the narrow index markers before they notice the <t25.

The movement is a 2836-2. I don't like the slower beat movement to me it gives it away as a rep. Rolex's always have a real smooth sweeping second hand and the 2846 seems like a Timex to me. Yeah i chopped the feet off and glued the dial on top of the spacer ring making sure the datewheel had enough room to move freely. A couple of layers of hypo cement does the trick.

Pete -- Thank you for the information about the dial installation.

But the 2846 does have a sweep second hand, so it should not look like a Timex (or quartz watch). Also, the 2846's slower beat is closer to the older Rolex movements than the faster 2836 is. The 2836 is a great movement, but I think the 2846 is more correct for a vintage Rolex. When I listen to the beat of a gen vintage Sub or Sea-Dweller and then listen to the beat of both ETAs, the 2846, although still slightly faster, is definitely closer. Once you hear the difference, and it is quite noticeable, it is hard to go back to the 2836.

a 5514 dial for $500. you are right that you will never see one of these :)

at the risk of repeating myself, what i was saying was that the standard 5513 dial (ie without the comex logo) was used on many of the 5514 issued to divers. the comex logo was more often printed on watches for good customers though they were not uncommon underwater too.

this opens up the possibility that you could get a gen 5513 dial (no wg surrounds though) and use it in your 5514. a 5513 dial can be had for around $500 and upwards and would get you round your issue with accuracy.

(FYI brief 551x model history. 5512 non date, SCOC submariner, 5513 non date non SCOC submariner, 5513 non date non SCOC military issue sub. T dial and fixed lugs, with or without sword hands, 5514 non date non SCOC submariner, comex issue, HEV on case side, issue number of caseback, 5517 non date non SCOC military issue submariner, T dial, sword hands, fixed lugs 5517 engraving)

tbh im not sure id spot the markers really on the dials you are showing. the crown, font, spacing, text location and swiss t<25 would all give it away to me way before before this and before the general look of the dial face gave it away too. unless markers were way off im not sure id really notice inconsistencies here.

ive not seen a good rep dial for the 551x models and its made worse by having the pleasure of looking at either a gen 5512 or 5513 daily.

one point is that you say you want a watch that will pass as gen if you wear it out and then want to throw your hat in with a 5514 comex logo'd watch. the problem with this is that my experience is that most people dont care about what watches others have unless they are actually WIS themselves. if they then are therefor into watches the will probably know its only one of the most faked about on top of being the most faked brand about. as a result anyone with a tiny knowledge of rolex will A: assume its fake and B: give it huge scrutiny if they do spot it, something it will quickly fall down on.

if you want to pass under the radar of scrutiny a datejust or less conspicuous model rolex will give you a better advantage.

unfortunately rolex ownership means that the expectation is that its always assumed fake

Edited by thewightstuff

WightStuff -- Sorry, I meant to say the 5513 (dyslexia strikes again). The Comex rep I have is pretty accurate, with the exception of the current dial

post-3175-1178823380_thumb.jpg

Although I am aware of the pluses and minuses of wearing a Rolex rep (I have been wearing both gen and reps for more than 20 years), your points are well taken.

freddy,

looked at your stamping post and the pic of the antiquorum watch.

is this photo what you are using as your comments ref the hour markers being too small on the rep dials?

from that photo it looks like a maxi dial and as such atypical of the submariner dial style rather than typical of it or something unique to the comex.

you see these occasionally on standard 5513 subs and while they dont command a premium ala the rail dials on the SDs etc they are of interest when they pop up.

i didnt quite follow your thoughts ref the markers but certainly do if you were going with the assertion that this type was what all comex should have.

Edited by thewightstuff

heres some better pics of the same watch.

the maxi dials are shown by the lume dots being both bigger and almost touching, or touching the minute marks.

also worth pointing out is the black print of the comex writing on the logo itself. the reps tend to leave this open just exposing the dial rather than printing the black on.

your comex looks nice but suffers the same as all the 551x reps in that its the 1680 case shape. its too thick and stubby compared to the 551x case.

Edited by thewightstuff

freddy,

looked at your stamping post and the pic of the antiquorum watch.

is this photo what you are using as your comments ref the hour markers being too small on the rep dials?

from that photo it looks like a maxi dial and as such atypical of the submariner dial style rather than typical of it or something unique to the comex.

i didnt quite follow your thoughts ref the markers but certainly do if you were going with the assertion that this type was what all comex should have.

The photo I posted in the Stamping thread was to indicate the design and layout of a gen Comex non date Sub 551x caseback, not the dial.

The issue I have with the width of markers relates only to the DRSD dial Polexpete posted (which I have as well). I have seen dozens of DRSDs (including those on doubleredseadweller) and none have such narrow coronets or index markers at the 6 & 9. Does that make more sense?

heres some better pics of the same watch.

the maxi dials are shown by the lume dots being both bigger and almost touching, or touching the minute marks.

also worth pointing out is the black print of the comex writing on the logo itself. the reps tend to leave this open just exposing the dial rather than printing the black on.

your comex looks nice but suffers the same as all the 551x reps in that its the 1680 case shape. its too thick and stubby compared to the 551x case.

244758-8807.jpg

Yes, that is the way the dial should look.

I could be wrong, but one of the better Rolex books (I believe it was The Best of Time) said that some of the Comex Subs used the thicker Sea-Dweller cases in order to fit the He valve.