When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My son's first comic book

ubiquitous

I don't know what it is, but collecting things that are, well, collectable is somewhat of a compulsive disorder (I think- at least for me). I currently collect watches with an obsession and passion (more franken-built watches than genuines these days), and in my youth, I collected comic books and the sort with the same level of enthusiasm. My son, who is showing similar traits to his dad (who are ages 2 and 28 respectively) will, I believe, be a collector of things as well. He'll be getting my watches when he's older, but I also thought it would be fun to start him a small little comic book collection of golden and silver age goodies as well.

I recently found this very nice VG+/FN- copy of Spider-Man #14 (1st app of the Green Goblin). I had this one when I was younger (though not in as nice of condition as this one), and memories of nostalgia quickly took over. After checking the price, which was very agreeable, I made the purchase and now I have it in my hot little hands. It's nice and complete- No missing pieces or coupons/sections cut, nice and flat with creamy off-white patina'd pages; staples in decent condition... For the money, I couldn't pass it up.

23244-1503.jpg

23244-1504.jpg

23244-1505.jpg

I'm now contemplating what to get him for his 2nd book. I figure 3 - 4 key issues a year will be a decent pace for growth, while not interrupting funds for watches.

I'm hoping that this (along with watches and cars), will become a little hobby that my son Reece will enjoy with his Dad when he's a little older :)

Great hobby. I suffer from the same disorder. Sitting in boxes in storage are every figure and variant of MacFarlane Spawn figurines for series 1-8 (read as hundreds of boxed figures). Can't figure out whether they are priceless or worthless. :) Seriously, Comic books will be a great thing to share with your son. But out of respect to the forum you will have to pick-up an original unopened copy of the Watchmen. :lol:

Cool comic. :thumbsupsmileyanim: The nest part is that it's already out of the plastic so you can read it too. :) I think your son should already have a hobby to share with you, reps. ;)

Well, I guess my son kinda does enjoy reps with me. He'll sit at the table with me when I'm working on putting something together :) And he loves to pick up my (technically his) watches to look at and study in close examination. I'm hoping that the watches I pass on to him will have significant sentimental value since his dad had a hand in putting them together and wore them everyday (especially since frankens won't be worth much in terms of monetary value ;) ).

hmmm... first thing if you are serious about collecting comix ... do not open them up flat... esp dont fold the page over...

that said... wanna buy a rep of amazing spider man #1? :D

Hmmmm... I suppose I'm somewhere in between- kinda serious about it, but kinda not. It's an interesting hobby, and one that brings back fond memories of my childhood, but I don't see myself getting into the same league as the hardcore folks who purchase the CGC 9.0's and above. Rather... I don't mind casually looking and searching for a key Silver or Golden Age book now and then, and I'd be happy with a VG copy of something. That way, I can keep it somewhat affordable, and my son will get a decent collection of key books when he's older :)

Hmmmm... Spider-Man #1 rep... Rep, or reprint?

:lol:

Great hobby. I suffer from the same disorder. Sitting in boxes in storage are every figure and variant of MacFarlane Spawn figurines for series 1-8 (read as hundreds of boxed figures). Can't figure out whether they are priceless or worthless. :) Seriously, Comic books will be a great thing to share with your son. But out of respect to the forum you will have to pick-up an original unopened copy of the Watchmen. :lol:

W- Who watches the Watchmen? One of my favorite reads as a kid- Alan Moore is an incredible writer! I also really liked Sandman, and, well I suppose anything Neil Gaiman. Of course, McFarlane was one of my all time favorites. I think he really revolutionized the manner in which comic art was done. My favorites of his were his early Marvel works- Hulk 340, Spider-Man 298-300, etc. But, above all, there is just something about those old 1960's Silver Age books that really does it for me. Simpler times, I suppose... Much like watches from the same era.