When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Superlume v. superb lume?

Rob1

I have two Breitling Steelfishes, one blue face on stainless steel bracelet and one white face on tan leather. The blue dial version was sent to The Zigmeister for a full service and relume. The white dial comes with 'superb lume' which has received many positive comments from rep fans. I thought that some people might like to see the difference between the gen Superlume as used by The Zigmeister and the high quality lume used by the rep factories. The photo was taken in a mostly dark room, with the watches charged by a standard household lamp for about a minute. Superlume on the left:

post-4251-1179175972_thumb.jpg

Big difference there i would say, is that the eta version as well?

Yes, both watches have eta movements. When I got them I was very impressed with the quality of the lume (my first experience of the 'super-reps'), but then when I got the re-lumed watch back from The Zigmeister I was amazed by how bright the lume was! Not only is it brighter, but the glow also lasts more or less all night.

Hat off to that man, quality work with quality material, you gona get the other one done now as well? :blink:

One day I will, but I have a couple of other watches that I'd like to get serviced/re-lumed first. Might have to sell a few of my cheaper reps to afford The Zigmeister's fees, but that will be OK as I've come to the view that a small number of well serviced 'super-reps' is a much better idea than a display case full of cheaper watches with dry movements.

Edited by Rob1

One day I will, but I have a couple of other watches that I'd like to get serviced/re-lumed first. Might have to sell a few of my cheaper reps to afford Ziggy's fees, but that will be OK as I've come to the view that a small number of well serviced 'super-reps' is a much better idea than a display case full of cheaper watches with dry movements.

Very true, well i bet you wont sell that ziggy lumed one, wear it with pride in a dark room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the difference is amazing, and his work is exellent from all the pics and the comments of those on this board. But I do notice the pearl isn't relumed. is it becasue it's not possible to do? Since now the color doens't match or maybe not the color but the birhgtness of the lume.

Glad you like the results.

The pearl can be relumed, but I only do it if I am asked. Why?

Most of the pearls have glass over them. The best way to relume the pearl, is from below, which requires the bezel be removed...on the majority of watches, the bezel is impossible to remove or too risky to remove without damaging it. That leaves only one option if you want it lumed, that is to break the glass off the pearl, clean it all up, clean out the old lume, apply new lume, and then replace the glass with clear varnish. Many people don't want to loose the glass covering, so they chose not to get the pearl lumed.

It's always a give and take, you can get lume, if you dont' mind loosing the glass covering...

RG

The best way to relume the pearl, is from below, which requires the bezel be removed...on the majority of watches, the bezel is impossible to remove or too risky to remove without damaging it.

Can the bezel on the Steelfish be removed to allow access to the pearl from underneath?

I have tried to remove a couple of them, and they were impossible to get off without risking permanent damage, so the only solution is to break the glass covering and make one with varnish.

RG

I really need your help to relume my poor dial. As you are the super lume expert who I can only trust, can you help again, Rob?

The dial and hands are ready to go at any time.

Please kindly consider again.

Thanks.