When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pressing Drills

freddy333

Has anyone ever used one of those tools you attach a hand drill to that allow it to work like a drill press?

I need to drill some holes through the side of a stainless steel case and I do not have access to or room for a standard drill press. I saw one of these things in a store, but the picture on the box showed it being used to drill holes in wood. So I am wondering if anyone knows if it would be able to hold a hand drill steady enough to drill a straight hole through a watch case?

Has anyone ever used one of those tools you attach a hand drill to that allow it to work like a drill press?

I need to drill some holes through the side of a stainless steel case and I do not have access to or room for a standard drill press. I saw one of these things in a store, but the picture on the box showed it being used to drill holes in wood. So I am wondering if anyone knows if it would be able to hold a hand drill steady enough to drill a straight hole through a watch case?

This isn't necessarily a recipe for success, but you could probably do it. I'd make a jig that both clamped the watch and provided a large, flat surface area upon which you could rest the drill attachment. I'd also use a clamp to hold the drill in place once you line up the hole with the bit.

The watch will be mounted in a rubber jawed hobby vice (sitting on the floor) and the drill will be mounted into the frame which is what this tool is (it is a frame that holds a hand drill and allows it to run, up and down, on a track that keeps it straight. That is the theory at least. If it works as advertised, it should do the job just fine. But since I have never used one before and I have learned many times that the promise of a tool often does not live up to the pitch, I thought it best to see if anyone else had used one of these tools before I risk damaging an MBW case.

I have tried to use those drill holders in building electronic gear. They are really not very stable. I'd forget about doing any precision work with them. Even if you bolt them to a heavy support, they are still jittery. They are more useful for spade bits or hole saws in WOOD--suck working with metal, even soft aluminum.

You would be much better off with a cheap or used real drill press--especially with skinny bits.

Check recommended speed for the job and see if you can find one that goes slow enough.

Make sure you wear goggles!

Mojo -- I appreciate the input on that tool. That is kind of what I thought when I looked at the box in the store. But I never took it out of the box, so I was not sure if it would work or not. It is only lack of space that keeps me from picking up a small standard drill press. I found one that is just over a foot in height, which would work fine, But it weighs 75 lbs, which is a bit too unwieldy to be lugging around for such a limited project. Maybe I can rent one.

Guest avitt

I have one of these guides, which I use occasionally for woodworking. As Mojo suggested, it is not stable enough for the type of work that you are planning. A drill press is really the only solution that I see, because it provides a stable relationship between the item, and the drill bit. (With the guide, the drill itself can move, and the work/tool interface can vary).

Check with your friends or co-workers, to see if any of them have a press (even the smallest of table-top presses will suffice).

I am really interested in seeing you succeed with this project :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I am in the same boat...sold my drill press before moving to East Coast. I have a couple lug holes to drill myself. I wouldn't even think of doing it with a hand drill in one of those holder things.

A 75 drill press is what you want! You want a solid stable system. Believe me it makes a huge difference, especially when drilling tiny holes in metal. If the bit wobbles at all it can bind and break.

You also need a very stable vise or clamp. Line everything up dead on with a thin bit that will go all the way through existing holes.

It's scary because if a bit breaks off in the hole, that could really screw up a good MBW case! I am a lousy machinist, which is why I try to at least use the right tools!

Guest avitt

mojo2001, you can drill out the lug holes with a hand drill. Just be sure clamp the case securely, use a high quality bit (like Snap-on cobalts), use plenty of cutting lubricant, and keep everything lined up.

Mojo -- Your points are taken, but I have to agree with Avitt on this one. In fact, I go even further -- I drill lug holes entirely by hand. Hold the case in one hand and the drill in the other. Slow, steady and lots of oil. I have done about a dozen cases so far and have not lost a single drill bit or case. With lug holes it is really easy since you are just enlarging an existing hole and the bit follows the path of least resistance (the existing hole).

For this project, I am drilling out a new He valve, which is a bit of a noodle since I am drilling into virgin metal. And that is why I need to find a drill press or something similar to hold everything steady and press the drill in the right direction. If you are interested, you can find the basic outline of my DRSD MBW He Valve Project about a 3rd of the way down the page.

Very cool He valve project...I read that before.

I salute people who can drill and saw "freehand" ...maybe I'm too many expressos and funny cigarettes over the limit, but when i was building in metal a lot, I quickly realized I did not have the magic touch.

When I got a real drill press and various cutting fluids, I messed up a lot fewer projects.

Either a drill press or I use an old-fashioned hand crank drill..don't laugh...I found it a lot more accurate than high speed electric drills!! My De Walt will rip through anything, too fast sometimes and not exactly in the place I wanted to rip through!!

I raided my grandfathers toolbox for some 1950s vintage elbow grease tools. Slowed down to enjoy the trip and got better results.

If I screwed up my 1680, I would cry.

I salute people who can drill and saw "freehand" ...maybe I'm too many expressos and funny cigarettes over the limit, but when i was building in metal a lot, I quickly realized I did not have the magic touch.

I have had my share of artificial stimulants over the years and I cannot even draw a straight line (never could, so I cannot blame it on stimulant use). So if I can drill lug holes by hand, anyone can. But if you already have a drill press and the competence to use it correctly, I would use that since that is what you are used to. But I would tell you that I have even done two sets of lug holes on fully cased watches. That is how easy the process is. Just be sure to wrap the watch in a thick, soft (I use Viva) paper towel so none of the metal shavings scratch the polished case or crystal and you should be fine.