When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brushed watch case help!

davethecat

I was trying to fix my bezel and I put some scratche on the lugs of my vintage DRSD. If you know the vintages, the brush on the case is a little deeper than the brush finish on a bracelet.

I've used a scotch brite pad, but that brushes too fine. I tried a copper brush on a test watch, but that scratches too deep and not very uniform.

Anyone have a good method?

Guest avitt
I was trying to fix my bezel and I put some scratche on the lugs of my vintage DRSD. If you know the vintages, the brush on the case is a little deeper than the brush finish on a bracelet.

I've used a scotch brite pad, but that brushes too fine. I tried a copper brush on a test watch, but that scratches too deep and not very uniform.

Anyone have a good method?

I use a medium grit 3M sanding sponge. Tape off the areas that you don't want brushed. Use repeated, light strokes, in one direction only.

i recommend if u dont ahve the correct abrasive wheel like rolex uses , which i use now but used to i used to achieve just about the same finish as this expensive wheel just more hard work thats all lol

i used automotive wet/dry sand paper it is greyish black in color , i used 600 grit and 1000grit , i cut them in strips so i could push in one direction easier with my ugly large thumbtool and it would give u a great finish but remember stay in one uniform direction about a dozen times till u get the brushed lines u want , i recommend a more satin than brush finish on the drsd so that is where the 1000 grit comes into play do the same over top of the 600 grit to achieve that , hope this helps u

Guest avitt
:) I just leave my scratches as they are. Every day use tends to result in knocks, dings, scratches, etc. Gives it character ;)

After all, these are supposed to be 30+ year old tool watches with colorful histories :D

I agree with you, Ubi. However, there is a time and place for refinishing. For example, I recently bought an older MBW DRSD rep., and I decided that I wanted to change many things. One of the things that bothered me was the fact that the lugs where not smoothly curved...Instead, the CNC machine had left may small facets along the radius. After reshaping these (and thinning the lugs, and rounding the edges, and milling the inside and outside of the crown guards, and polishing the back, and drilling the lug holes, and...) I just hit them with the sanding block...Voila! A better fake 30+ year old tool watch...Now I'll start accumulating my own dings and scratches.

Edited by avitt