When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cousteau Review - first impressions

hilts

I wish I could--I was talking to a usually in-the-know guy, bitching about missing the first run, and he said, "You're lucky you missed the first release--they're doing an impproved version." Didn't now what the improvements are, though. Hopefully, the improvements will be on the day alignment, the "10" and "15", and the bezel alignment.

Thanks. Please let us know if you hear any more.

S

I received mine a couple of weeks ago. It did not have any QC issues. Clean crystal, good (not perfect) date alignment and well working inner rotating bezel. My key complaint is that the lume on the inner bezel is not as good as the rest of the watch.

Just be sure that new improved version is not just new. ;) In spite of the good karma mine is already with ZZ for relume, movement and day/date wheel swap. ;)

Guest Sql_pl

My CD arrived today.

Watch is just excellent. It really has that genuine feel that my Big Bang had.

The AR is just awesome, strap is great, inner bezel works just fine.

I was lucky to get one with straight hour markers.

But I guess I was not lucky enough to get a totally flawless watch like some other guys...

I have lots of dust under the crystal... both white and blue in color... even one big (around 1 x 1 mm) blue dust particle sticked to the dial....

Also my 6 o'clock subdial hand does not reset to exact 12... it is more like 1 mm to 12 on the left side...

Damn.

I don't think I will be able to live with this...

Maybe I will have it cleaned and the hand corrected by my watchsmith, we will see.

Will post some pics of the watch tomorrow.

It really is an amazing piece, just a shame the QC is that shitty.

Guest Sql_pl

One more thing.

When does your CD start to change the day?

I got used to the fact that it is like this - 10pm to 12 - the date is being changed and right after 12 the day is starting to roll to finish at exact 1 am (that's how it worked in all my GSTs for example)

Here the day starts to change at 1 am.

Is it the same in yours?

..... I am amazed.

I see veterans here and great members that commit the same mistake over and over again (I guess our passion for watches goes beyond logic).

You all know guys that you should not , ever never order a watch that is less than 6 to 8 months on the market.

1st and 2nd version are usually quite bad and with many problems. If on this you add the "dropshipping" practice and the total absence of any QC. , .... the chances that you get a defective watch is about 80%.

I have made my desicion. No IWC CD for me before 1 year and only under the condition that the reported problems have resolved first.

PS Andy's service - world class as always. I also got the Chopard Mille Miglia XL for SWMBO - the cheap Asian 21J one and guess what??? The date wheel is now black and the rotor is engraved - NOT as per the picks on his website - definitely better! So a result there!

Any AR on this ..????...... (most likely no but I like to confirm)

..... I am amazed.

I see veterans here and great members that commit the same mistake over and over again (I guess our passion for watches goes beyond logic).

You all know guys that you should not , ever never order a watch that is less than 6 to 8 months on the market.

1st and 2nd version are usually quite bad and with many problems. If on this you add the "dropshipping" practice and the total absence of any QC. , .... the chances that you get a defective watch is about 80%.

I have made my desicion. No IWC CD for me before 1 year and only under the condition that the reported problems have resolved first.

Absolutely agree with you, and so i do with my purchases :)

Also never understood why people prefer speedy Andrew better than meticulous TTK.

Also never understood why people prefer speedy Andrew better than meticulous TTK.

mmmm - dunno bout TTK as never dealt with him, but of the 2 I have, it is Angus's watch (who "invented" this rep with the community) which has the most flaws.

Andy's is tip top aesthetically, just a sticky bezel which I'm sure anyone with any kind of watch skills could sort.

(Unfortunately I have none - hence ZZ!)

Hilts :play_ball:

I just received mine from Joshua today. Like many others, the bezel is off. Aside from that, the AR is great and there is no dust beneath the crystal. I big prob though. The watch does not seem to hold a reserve. I tried to manually wind it, about 40 turns. I tried to shake it for a few mins. The longest it has kept running for is half an hour. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a trick to winding the watch? I think I am doing it correctly. I unscrew the crown to the first notch and wind it. Any ideas? Some advice and help would be appreciated.

I dont understand why you guys are complaining? Most of you seem to "live" with the flaws or have it corrected themselves. What you ALL need to do is talk to your dealer and [censored] about it. Demand a replacement or repair or whatsoever. Only then the dealers/manufacturers will start to make QC.

eat this: THEY WONT DO ANY QC IF YOU ALL JUST LIVE WITH IT AND HAVE IT CORRECTED AT YOUR _OWN_ COST

On this forum, we're "commenting and sharing our findings" rather than "complaining". I take it from your post that we SHOULD be complaining, but not on this forum - instead we should be complaining to our dealers?

What you say is absolutely correct though - they get away with it cos we accept it and get it fixed, but it is a tricky one.

So, do you

1) Complain to dealer - maybe get the problem sorted, maybe not. Possibly p1ss them off so they don't deal with you again (esp if you're a relative newb) or at the very least they'll be less inclined to deal with you.

2) Live with it - chalk it up to experience - keep fingers crossed for better luck next time. This is a risky sport - you're going to get your fingers burnt every now and then.

3) Send it to a reputable watchsmith, who will not only sort the problem, but you will end up with a more reliable and possibly more accurate timepiece.

In practice, I suspect that most of the regular collectors on here do a bit of all 3 - I've certainly sent watches back before now, and had replacements sent and problems sorted. I've lived with a few, and a couple, like the recent IWCs, will get a bit of The Zigmeister treatment. But if we all piled back to dealers with a flood of complaints, is it going to encourage them to get new models out?

I agree with the principle of what you say, I just think in practice it pans out a bit differently.

My 2c!

Hilts :play_ball:

I'm not saying you shouldt complain here. I'm saying you shouldnt complain here if you dont bother to b1tch at the dealer because of the problems.

There are dozens of dealers, I dont think anyone would refuse to deal with you in the future, becase you sent back an obviously faulty watch. And if he does, he's not worth the turd in the toilet! Just pick another dealer next time, they all carry the same stock!

I got mine from Angus... it's still running strong, not dust problems, bezel aligns fine, after a few weeks the day/date started to aling better than be4... i'm still a happy chappy with this baby!

When Ziggy is back from his vacation i guess it's time for a lume job and maybe even swiss 7750 :D Today i'm still not ready to miss it that long...

• 2 weeks later...
I got mine from Angus... it's still running strong, not dust problems, bezel aligns fine, after a few weeks the day/date started to aling better than be4... i'm still a happy chappy with this baby!

When The Zigmeister is back from his vacation i guess it's time for a lume job and maybe even swiss 7750 :D Today i'm still not ready to miss it that long...

I've just got mine for Precious Time. Day and date align well, no dust - all appears well, fingers crossed. It's a gorgeous watch!

Andrew

PS: I have no hesitation in recommending Precious Time in the UK. This is the second watch I have had from them. They answer all emails very quickly and deliver when they say they will. A pleasure to do business with and I will order from them again.