When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seagull ST25 vs ETA 2892-A2

Does anyone among our movements gurus know whether the Seagull ST25 and the ETA 2892-A2 (which the ST25 is supposed to be a partial copy of) have the same datewheel?

I mean, whether their datewheels are interchangeable?

The Zigmeister? Tourby? r11co? Anyone?

Really thanks, Marrickvilleboy! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

On your nickname I suppose you are that one with great experience on these movements (I made a little search on the forums, and a nick similar to yours was referred to several times on the subject).

That question came out from a try by Lello to find a better datewheel for the 090 -- and a try by me to give him a little help.

The Seagull ST25 was supposed to be the movement in the 090, and also a partial copy of the ETA 2892A2, but both those assertions are now questioned.

As a matter of fact, if I place a 2893 datewheel (that is the same size of a 2892 datewheel) on a 090 dial, it seems pathetically small.

Oh well, Lello is planning to disassemble his 090 in a couple of days so we shall see...

WOW! Did not know that....thanks for the info ;)

Does anyone know if the rotor (oscillating weight) is also interchangeable? Thanks :)

I think Ziggy said once that they should be and they look identical.

Ok, Lello is having his watchsmith disassembling the watch, and the movement has nothing to do with the 2892-A2.

Also the datewheel are different size (the 090 being larger, as expected) and absolutely not interchangeable.

Ok, Lello is having his watchsmith disassembling the watch, and the movement has nothing to do with the 2892-A2.

Also the datewheel are different size (the 090 being larger, as expected) and absolutely not interchangeable.

bad news :thumbdown:

bad news :thumbdown:

Really. :black_eye:

Besides, Lello told me his watchsmith is having a bad time in disassembling a movement that he does not know and of which he doesn't even have an 'exploded' drawing/blueprint/picture.

So, should any experts chime in and give any tiny help they can, they will always be welcome...

• 2 weeks later...

what happened sssurfer?

I've changed the datewheel of the Seagull with the ETA 2892 before, there is absolutely no problem. (I installed a genuine omega datewheel - 2892 base movement - on the seagull and there is not problem).

How come your watchsmith is having a hard time dissembling this movement? its almost a straight copy of the 2892 =S

Marrickvilleboy, thanks for coming back.

The problem here is that the 2892A2 is much smaller than our 090s datewheel.

The date window in our 090s is placed (outer border) 13.2 mm from the center of the dial, while the 2892A2 datewheel has a radius (outer border as well) of just 11.64 mm. That is a 1.52 mm difference, a lot of space.

What I can guess is that the movement in your 090 is different from mine and Lello's.

Or -- less likely? -- that the datewheel from that omega 2892 based movement was not so identical to the 2892A2 datewheel.

Is there any chance that you can measure and tell us the distance of the outer border of your date window from the center of the dial?