When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Devil's Hands

freddy333

While awaiting the remaining parts and tools for the next set of DRSD mods (He valve, superdome), I am beginning to notice some of the smaller details that separate my MBW from a gen. One of those details are the MBW hands, which I think have narrower lume sections inside them compared to the gen DRSD hands. So I am wondering if there are options for upgrading the hands on the ETA 2846? Am I correct that the gen hands (made to fit the 1570 movement) will not fit onto the pinion of the 2846? If that is right, are there any aftermarket hands that do fit the ETA and more closely match the gen hands?

And for anyone considering whether to upgrade their rep clasp, I would highly recommend it. I just received a nicely aged 93150 clasp and fit it onto an aftermarket 93150 bracelet and diver's extension. The part bolted right onto the rep bracelet and improved the bracelet's feel and appearance. Once I locate the correct 580 or 585 end links, I will consider the bracelet complete.

251310-7463.jpg251310-7464.jpg

251310-7465.jpg251310-7466.jpg

Guest avitt

That's looking very good. Another problem with those links is the springbar cutouts. Once you find proper links, that bracelet will be nailed.

Guest avitt

Your 93150 bracelet looks exactly like mine, right down to the grainy finish on the back of the mid-links, and the fact that you also had to crack the soldered joint to get your 2mm springbars through... Nice :victory:

Thanks Avitt.

Actually, I was able to crack the solder joint on one (which is what I was trying to do), but the other one kind of bent before the joint separated. The effect was the same -- it widened the hole enough to slide the 2mm springbar through. You can slightly see where the outer 'skin' of that one link warped when the light hits the link the right way. I will have to figure out some way to flatten it back down.

And you are right about the springbar holes. The width of that side of these end links are way off (too narrow) anyway, but when I saw that magic number (550) on a pair of old end links that came with one of my old rep Subs, I just could not avoid trying to fit them. Even with their warts, it sure is nice to know I have the right number lurking under there. I am hoping it will not be too long before I can locate a proper gen pair.

The downside to the bracelet upgrade is that it makes that laser etched MBW caseback all the more obvious. I have a lead on another local jeweler who is willing to at least take a look to see if there is anything he can do.

Yes, that is what I thought. Are there any aftermarket hands that fit the ETA 2846 which more closely match the gen hands?

I have searched for some good aftermarket hands, but have yet to find some. I opted for genuine hands for my projects. I'm modifying the movement parts, rather than the hands, to fit on eta movements as the parts are relatively cheap and the hands are damn expensive. I posted an experiment a while back in watch repair. Check Here

I've just found a watchmaker with a lathe. I have a meeting with him, but I am just waiting for more cannon pinions and hour wheels before I go see him. I've burned through a few parts experimenting on getting the hands to fit.

I don't think you will be able to modify for 1570 hands as the difference is too great. You could try hands for 3035 as they are closer.

Hi Freddy,

I use genuine Tudor sub hands for their 2824 movement from Micheal at http://www.classicwatchparts.com

I can't see any on his website at the moment but if you email him at michael_ck_young@hotmail.com he can probably help you out.

Can you post some pics of the front of yer drsd, its looks great from behind...

P.

post-3074-1180007889_thumb.jpg

This minute hand looks to be more accurate than the standard MBW. Should fit the ETA 28xx variety.

These are gold but I suspect Clark also carries the white.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hands-ETA-2824-yellow-...bayphotohosting

Hi Jetson, posting a pic of my two sd's. The Comex has (i changed them now) the same hands as you mention where as the drsd has the Classicwatchparts

variety. I reckon the later are more accurate but twice the price.

P.

post-3074-1180007889_thumb.jpg

They are close and both far better than the MBW which is too narrow. For $15 shipped, it's difficult to go wrong. :)

Not to change the subject but that is one terrific date wheel on your RR. Awesome! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Very nicely finished dials as well. I have the MBW 5514 which is bone stock outside of the insert...a vintage hollow mid-links bracelet will be arriving soon & lug holes to be dilled in short order.

They are close and both far better than the MBW which is too narrow. For $15 shipped, it's difficult to go wrong. :)

Not to change the subject but that is one terrific date wheel on your RR. Awesome! :thumbsupsmileyanim: Very nicely finished dials as well. I have the MBW 5514 which is bone stock outside of the insert...a vintage hollow mid-links bracelet will be arriving soon & lug holes to be dilled in short order.

Yup i agree they're a bargain. Many thanks for yer comments glad you like them. The 5514 is an awesome model look forward to seeing the pics..

P.

Hi Freddy,

I use genuine Tudor sub hands for their 2824 movement from Micheal at http://www.classicwatchparts.com

I can't see any on his website at the moment but if you email him at michael_ck_young@hotmail.com he can probably help you out.

Can you post some pics of the front of yer drsd, its looks great from behind...

P.

Pete -- The hands on your DRSD look the better of the two and are what I am lookin for. Are those the ones you got from Michael at Classicwatchparts? And I apologize if you already told me this, but does your DRSD have the ETA 2846 and did the Tudor's fit without modding anything?

Here is the front

252354-7220.jpg

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for the watch's backside. The recently added gen bracelet clasp and correctly numbered end links improve it, but the stock MBW back, while more or less correct in its content, is way off the mark in its execution. It did not bother me at the beginning when the watch had numerous flaws. But as the mods progressed and each flaw got corrected, the back, with its clearly modern laser etching (it is not even fair to call it an engraving) has become a painful embarrassment and is now the weakest link in the chain. But thank you for the compliment anyway.

This minute hand looks to be more accurate than the standard MBW. Should fit the ETA 28xx variety.

These are gold but I suspect Clark also carries the silver.

Thanks. I emailed both Clark and Michael to see if either (or both) has the hands in silver. For the price, if he has the right set, I will order them.

Hi Freddy,

Pete -- I just heard back from Michael at classicwatchparts. He says 'we only have aftermarket ones'. He only has 1 Hands section on the site and it is aftermarket. Is it possible yours are aftermarket? It is not important to me that the hands are gen as long as they look gen and whatever you have on your DRSD looks like what I am after.

These are gold but I suspect Clark also carries the silver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hands-ETA-2824-yellow-...bayphotohosting

He has them in silver also and for a few cents less than $15 per set. I just ordered 2.

Thanks for the tip.

Pete -- I just heard back from Michael at classicwatchparts. He says 'we only have aftermarket ones'. He only has 1 Hands section on the site and it is aftermarket. Is it possible yours are aftermarket? It is not important to me that the hands are gen as long as they look gen and whatever you have on your DRSD looks like what I am after.

Hey Freddy,

Yeah looking at Micheal's site he has no gen listed so my mistake sorry they probably are aftermarket but they are very accurate. I vintaged the lume myself to match my dial but i think he may do a vintage version. If you need ask him. I have a 2836-2 movement and the hands fit no problem.

As for the back of yer watch and indeed your watch overall i think the drsd is one of the best looking watches ever and even with the small flaws on my dial, back etc its still a great looking watch and i think thats what counts. Afterall we're not trying to fool anybody here.

P.

And before anyone accuses me of trying to rip someone off, let me say that the only places my watches can be seen are here or on my wrist. The only people I want to fool are the people who think you have to spend $5,000 or more on a Sub or Sea Dweller to get a quality timepiece. And the (often ingenious) work of many of the artists & craftsmen here constantly prove that is not the case.

Getting back to the original topic (the search for a proper set of DRSD hands), I finally received a photo of the Tudor hands from Michael (classwatchparts). So I combined both Michael's and Clark's hand photos, resized each to match and converted everything to monochrome to eliminate the color differences between the two sets of photos.

252692-7171.jpg

I just spent the last 45 minutes staring at dozens of photos of DRSDs that I downloaded from TZ over the past few years and the only thing I know is that there is no clear winner. There appear to be several variations of each hand. Some look like Clark's, some look like Michael's, some look alot like the OEM MBWs, and others look like someone flipped a coin and combined all three in different combinations.

Here is my MBW

252692-7172.jpg

Here are 3 variations on the DRSD theme

252692-7173.jpg

252692-7174.jpg

252692-7175.jpg

So now I am totally confused. Can anyone spot the fish?

Guest avitt

MY's hour hand looks completely wrong, and the lume is too narrow on the minute hand. If you must make a choice between the two, Clark's looks like the clear winner to me.

Edited by avitt