When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

001 mods

asands

Hi,

After much searching, it seems the 001 is arguably the most accurate PAM due to having the movement hidden by an accurately engraved (not etched?) solid back. Now to complete it's transformation, it will need a lello crown, reluming, the recessed pin fixed and a new strap.

Anyone know if I'm missing anything? Is the crown guard ok, or ideally would it need a jimmyzfu replacement?

Oh, and is there only 1 version of the 001? (not counting the difference between the swiss and asian movement)

I'm thinking that this would make it as close to a gen PAM as can be at the moment, please jump in with any additions or corrections.

Thanks

Hi,

After much searching, it seems the 001 is arguably the most accurate PAM due to having the movement hidden by an accurately engraved (not etched?) solid back. Now to complete it's transformation, it will need a lello crown, reluming, the recessed pin fixed and a new strap.

Anyone know if I'm missing anything? Is the crown guard ok, or ideally would it need a jimmyzfu replacement?

Oh, and is there only 1 version of the 001? (not counting the difference between the swiss and asian movement)

I'm thinking that this would make it as close to a gen PAM as can be at the moment, please jump in with any additions or corrections.

Thanks

Ok lets see now. The only reason the disply back models are sometimes wrong (and this case comes with a display back as the 111) is because they used the plain ETA movt with engraved foils stuck on the bridge plates. This style of the movt was only visible on the PAM036 Marina Militaire. There are versions of the PAM 111 that come with the correct shaped bridges (the makers modify the ETA movt the same way that ETA do for Panerai) and these are the G and H series PAM 111's. They are also very accurate. All the casebacks are engraved, none of them are etched, so again all are accurately made. Sometimes the wrong caseback is fitted and the 005 logo is a good example. This has the logo caseback which should be on the older PAM 000 Pre-A model.

So the only important thing to do on the 001 is to re-lume it. Lello crowns are no longer available but there maybe an alternative coming soon (I say maybe). The CG is no different from a Jimmy except his have a rubber tube that surrounds the pin which makes them less loose. You could easily upgrade the existing CG by doing the same thing as jimmy's CG's are not cheap. Recessed pin is fixable, but I am currently awaiting new stocks and they will be some time coming yet. Some PAM's do not need the new pin to sort the problem but this one probably would.

Finepics - Thanks for clarifying that, it's nice to know this has no real problems and the upgrades can all just be done as they become available.

ridnwind - and thanks for bringing this to my attention too, I'd never really looked at the 2B, and it seems pretty close without mods too

maybe time to bite the bullet!

Hope you know what you're getting into - Paneraitis is highly infectious and you'll never have a box big enough to hold all of them!!! :showoff:

Yes, from all I've read it'll be all over for me once I get my first one, they seem to be the black hole of watches, anyone who gets close enough gets sucked in, or maybe they're just adding niccotine to them!

Oh well, at least I won't be alone

i would suggest trying to see if your dealer can supply the 001 with the cn unitas movement. i have only seen this version in a swiss unitas, which unfortunately feels different while winding and has a slower BPH (18000 vs 21600 for CN). if i buy one more watch, it will be a combo like that. most accurate pam ever. btw, the stock crown on the 001 reps is very similar to the gen 001, which looks like it was slightly thinner than more recent models. i dont think you would need to swap the crowns....

i would suggest trying to see if your dealer can supply the 001 with the cn unitas movement. i have only seen this version in a swiss unitas, which unfortunately feels different while winding and has a slower BPH (18000 vs 21600 for CN). if i buy one more watch, it will be a combo like that. most accurate pam ever. btw, the stock crown on the 001 reps is very similar to the gen 001, which looks like it was slightly thinner than more recent models. i dont think you would need to swap the crowns....

Thanks for the tip robideaux,

BTW, If you are looking for this with the Asian movement, you might want to try Joshua. I only saw it in the swiss version, but Joshua let me know that you can order it installed with either swiss OR asian, and of course you'll find the asian movement to be cheaper.

Cheers