When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine dial on an ETA replica

crystalcranium

I know this question has probably been asked multiple times but...

Will a genuine dial for a 1996 submariner fit, as far as date wheel window is concerned (feet problem to be taken care of) on an ETA 2836 Submariner replica. I have a line on a dial but I don't want to pull the trigger unless the fit is possible.

My rep is from paul and is very accurate.

I think this has been done before. A while ago I had been offered a two tone replica with a genuine serti dial from a very reputable dealer/watchmaker and he said the dial fits no problem. I think he just cut off the feet where to do it right you can buy some feet and attach them in the correct position.

Typically a gen dial won't fit in a rep sub. A gen dial is 27mm roughly and the rep dials are in the 28mm range. The one exception is the TW Best will accept a gen dial, but it has to be perfectly centered in the case. On a CN case, the inside case ring is to big and the dial just goes on thru to the crystal. This is for the modern Subs, not the MBW vintages

I think this has been done before. A while ago I had been offered a two tone replica with a genuine serti dial from a very reputable dealer/watchmaker and he said the dial fits no problem. I think he just cut off the feet where to do it right you can buy some feet and attach them in the correct position.

Dial size is probably a bigger issue. I think the gen dial sizes are smaller than the reps...and only a MBW accepts the smaller dial sizes.

-bosk

These facts... they are a damn shame... I've been cruising Eb*y for monthes for Sub dials with this swap in mind... Never quite got about to pulling the trigger... now perhaps it is for the best.

I hear the Datejust/daydate gen to rep is a quick easy one... perhaps in 30 years when I'm all old and Datejust/diaper wearing i'll be all over that mod.