When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oh My God.. What have I created?

V

Well don;t panic.. definately not Frankenstein.. I created a strap I really love for my franken destro though.. .

Enjoy.. I personally LOVE IT.. Defintely in my top 3 favourite straps..

252543-7190.jpg

252543-7191.jpg

252543-7192.jpg

252543-7193.jpg

252543-7194.jpg

252543-7195.jpg

252543-7196.jpg

252543-7197.jpg

252543-7198.jpg

lovely :wub: only thing that I dont like are the edges, they should be smooth and clean to me. But thats me :)

I love the leather K, the texture is simply amazing, it looks pretty damn soft too. These greek hides are expensive, but they seem to be worth it :)

Ive to get some black leather and do a strap myslef, Im lacking black strap rigth now and brown and pale doesnt match everything I wear :p

cheers

Hi V...

I do agree with David that your skills improved since you have posted one of yours first project straps...

a week or so, I have been doing myself some straps too...the only thing I miss doing is stiches...since now I have done something like 7 straps w/o stiches and they look OK (haven't got the camera for the last 2 weeks so I cannot take any photos)...but I would like to them with stiches too...

can you tell me what tool have you been using to mark/make the stiching holes?

and keep doing the straps...it's really nice to do them on your own,right?...you like them even more than the great straps that you can buy around...because they are your "creatures"!

David indeed.. strapmaking is like everything else in life.. the more you do it the better you become ;)

I have reached a point where the stitching now is easy for me.. I have to improve more in cutting and preparing the leather.. This takes me less but still some significant time.

@pubus:

This is my first strap that I have used leather sealant to have smooth edges... Photo will follow..

@dadog:

I use the standard spike that it is in every toolmaking set. I will take a photo for you as well to see it.

ok K, cant wait for extra photos :) show also the sealant itself, and the eventuall place you got it from :)

cheers,

Kuba

Here is the edge.. Keep in mind I used only one dose of sealant because I didn't care that much and I was impatient. If you want you can wait 24 hours to dfry completely and them put another dose of sealant to make it extra smooth. Although most of the straps I have seen (except HKTAN's) they have similar edges. Aaron does then extremely smooth with much sealant.

The sealant i bought it from a store in UK.

252845-7143.jpg

Edited by V

yeah, looks good K.

I must get one of these sealants eventually. I use only sandpaper to make edges smooth and then paint them with special leather paint. It does look similar but its aint no sealant still :)

good job, I hope in few weeks time you would provide our community with even better straps :)

Great! It must be a really good feeling to wear something so beautiful and to know that you made it with your own hands.

I also suppose that now hunting for the best leathers around will be an entertaining task... :)