When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to spot replica Panerai?

cookie2112

113...Please???

Universal flaws:

- loose lever in the open position;

- possibly thin crown;

- possibly incorrect numbers and writings on the caseback.

Flaws of 6497 models:

- recessed pin.

As donce said, there are several other flaws around depending on specific models (font, date font, low date magnification, more specific dial flaws, etc).

Is the 113 repped? Give us a link to pics of the rep you are thinking about so we can be more specific...

Universal flaws:

- loose lever in the open position;

- possibly thin crown;

- possibly incorrect numbers and writings on the caseback.

Flaws of 6497 models:

- recessed pin.

As donce said, there are several other flaws around depending on specific models (font, date font, low date magnification, more specific dial flaws, etc).

Is the 113 repped? Give us a link to pics of the rep you are thinking about so we can be more specific...

How about this one....I have a friend that may be interested.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Pam-113-t19669.html

How about this one....I have a friend that may be interested.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Pam-113-t19669.html

Overall, a very good rep. No recessed pin, no glaring flaws.

Minor flaws for the eagle-eyed Panerai connoisseur:

- less-than-perfect crown;

- 'L SWISS MADE L' text a little too spaced between the words 'SWISS' and 'MADE' (possibly because of a little too small font);

- polished crown guard is correct for the E and F series, while the 'cote-de-Geneve' movement qualifies this watch as a H series, that would need a brushed crown guard;

- I am no expert in 6497 engravings, but I suspect that the 'OFFICINE PANERAI' blue text on tha back may be a little too bold.

Are there any of those from the same source that are more exact than others?

Sorry I can't evaluate all Davidsen's offers. Other members have discussed several models of his, I hope they might chime in, or just try a search.

What I can offer you here are just a few guidelines, if you especially want closeness with the gen disregarding specific features like seconds-or-not, date-or-not, etc.

On a general view, the simpler a watch, the lesser the chance of unaccuracies.

So:

- base models are usually more accurate than more complex models;

- titanium and PVD models are usually more accurate than SS models, as they don't suffer from the polished-vs-brushes issues like that I told about the 113;

- solid back models are usually more accurate than see-through back models, as you can't obviously spot possible flaws in the movement look.

With Davidsen models you don't have to worry about the recessed pinion issue, and his cases and crown guards are usually at a good level of accuracy.

One minor but almost ubiquitary small flaw on his crown guards is the position of the lever pin. On the gens it is not centrally placed, but a little shifted towards the crown side. On Davidsen's it is centrally placed, or a little shifted towards the opposite side (this same issue also applies to the vast majority of non-Davidsen's reps, though).

Overall, a very good rep. No recessed pin, no glaring flaws.

Minor flaws for the eagle-eyed Panerai connoisseur:

- less-than-perfect crown;

- 'L SWISS MADE L' text a little too spaced between the words 'SWISS' and 'MADE' (possibly because of a little too small font);

- polished crown guard is correct for the E and F series, while the 'cote-de-Geneve' movement qualifies this watch as a H series, that would need a brushed crown guard;

- I am no expert in 6497 engravings, but I suspect that the 'OFFICINE PANERAI' blue text on tha back may be a little too bold.

exactly, You can also add that its needdle swan neck regulator instead of the dagger one used in gen movements. And that font is definetely too bold. My peeps on this one.

EASIEST WAY ON H SERIES....

very white dial font......

you can spot it from 6 feet away....the sandwich dial is subtle from a distance and the gen fonts are toned down to match. If you see a watch across the room and cannot see the numbers well but see a white "luminor" "panerai" that seems out of place colorwise......fake!

H series are so overrated out of the box.

look at my modded base in this section..........doesn't the white font just ruin the whole thing?