When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Aquaterra 42 mm: Omega experts help requested

Stephane

Hi All,

I have an addiction (I confess :animal_rooster: ) for several brands, among which, Omega.

I own 4 of them and, toghether with Rolex, I would like to expand my collection.

I was looking at various Aquaterra gen and rep (non chrono) on the net and cannot spot the flawless one. :huh:

253946-6806.jpg

I really like this 2802.33 that can be seen HERE

I read By-Tor's reviews and the TRC ones...but still feeling like asking the following question in may 2007!

Is there anybody who can share their experience on finding the right rep of this model ? :blink:

Cheers

Stephane

From what i have had in the past, the 42mm ones all suffer from bad movements and a too deep case, i have never found a 42mm with eta only asian. The closest to the gen is the 39mm railmaster, the other 39mm ones all suffer from the wrong OMEGA (joined along the base of the letter as across the middle like the gen)

I had this one but sold it, it was 42mm but the faults were:

Case to deep and not brushed on the sides.

Bad crown

Cheep mineral glass

Bad lume

Omega should be joined in the middle of the font

Wrong logo

Wrong case back (solid)

254062-6754.jpg

Here is a 39mm gen, i know it is on an smp strap.

254062-6755.jpg

here was my group shot, im now down to just 3 my railmaster and the gen and rep with gold markers. You can read my review of the railmaster linked to bytor's post.

254062-6756.jpg

You will find that any that are advertised as having a 2892 actually have a seagull movement, mine works perfect dont be put off by this.

Andrew has a blue faced one with the correct omega wording but wrong case back and logo with asian works and it looks like the date wheel is to far to the left, he also has the one you are looking for with same floors, not sure about the blue, or the case depth.

PT has a nice 39mm with blue markers but wrong logo and omega but with ETA and if you are in the EU you could have it in a couple of days from him.

hope this helps.

PT has a nice 39mm with blue markers but wrong logo and omega but with ETA and if you are in the EU you could have it in a couple of days from him.

hope this helps.

Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for your kind answer.

Allthough it is very disapointing, it surely helps.

I'll see what I can do with PT.

Thanks a lot,

Cheers

Stephane

No problems

As i said the best of them all is the railmaster, no date to worry, about correct omega and logo as it is printed, there is a very small fault with the placing of railmaster but if some one has to look that closely at my rep to call it out with out looking at the works they are sad and end up with a sore face.

I will second Andy's praise of the 39mm Railmaster...I have one from Ruby with an ETA2836....wrong color movement, but it is keeping to about 12 seconds fast per day. The lume is good, but the gen is MUCH better. If it is on my wrist, it looks pretty genuine. I haven't been to an AD recently to compare them (I wouldn't actually bring in the rep), but I have a feeling it would compare nicely.

I think that the only thing that you could do is possibly get the Seagull version and transplant the correct asian dial onto it.

Good luck, they are really great watches.

Tom

I would also praise the Railmaster 39mm version. I have the same one from Ruby and it is very good indeed. The AR on the crystal is really great -it's easy to forget there is a crystal at all. The lume is good, but as Tom said, not as good as the gen (or my Seiko, which is probably even better); alas gen dials in this size are very hard to find. The 2824 movement is good; but I am planning on putting a nice 2892 movement from torby in instead. The hands are good - hard to fault even under a 10x loupe.

As everyone has said,this is one of the classic designs and this a really nic rep.

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy!