When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gens and Reps....

DarthSimon

I always ask myself sometimes why I post on this board... I own Genuine Panerai's, Genuine Rolex, and several. rep Panerai's... Some could say I should be posting over at Paneristi.... You know what?? Screw that.... I enjoy RWG (Old or new :) ) so much, I wouldn't trade this board for anything..... There’s a group of guys here and a camaraderie that you just can’t find anywhere else... Thank you to the guys that run this board... It's truly a home for many of us.....

As one who I consider a valued member and friend here, I am glad you do. :)

I find most gen forums spend time discussing the vagaries of their watches and allowing folks to puff out their chests. This place is down and dirty but more importantly much more informative. I learned more about movements in my first week at RWG and TRC than in 25 years of buying, selling and losing gens.

A membership composed of both rep and gen owners is a very good thing. :) And the best part is that I have made a number of friends from all over the world and from all sorts of socioeconomic backgrounds. But there is one common denominator - a true love of horology. And I have to admit, there is something titillating about pursuing this "illegal" hobby.

Same here... you just don't get the same type of interaction as you get on the purist sites... The excitement of getting a rep in the post, or back from mods... watching my crappy rep strap witha great buckle turn into a truly unique work of art by Kostas and Aaron.

Gens are great to have and wear... No guilt (except for the huge mark-up you pay), great quality, but they're surely not as exciting as a great rep project!

You're so right about this community.. It has soooo much more camaraderie than you get at the purists sites and you don't have the stuck-up aholes stickin' their two cents in just to brag about their 20 million dollar watches :thumbdown:

I love this forum much more than boards like the Purists and Timezone. I find there's just more excitement here in general, and there's something new everyday to be found here. It gets boring and repetitive elsewhere, simply because most people just keep bragging about what they have, etc.

I am too, a collector of many genuines and replicas. I am in pursuit of the perfect watch for me, whether genuine or rep, and the conquest continues for me. The UN Freak didn't quite do it for me, and (gasp), I'll admit I'm getting a bit tired of staring at the Royal Oak's octagonal bezel. I want something outstanding, something special and innovative.

This is part of the fun of horology, buying, selling, trading, searching for the right watch for you.

I love this forum much more than boards like the Purists and Timezone. I find there's just more excitement here in general, and there's something new everyday to be found here. It gets boring and repetitive elsewhere, simply because most people just keep bragging about what they have, etc.

I am too, a collector of many genuines and replicas. I am in pursuit of the perfect watch for me, whether genuine or rep, and the conquest continues for me. The UN Freak didn't quite do it for me, and (gasp), I'll admit I'm getting a bit tired of staring at the Royal Oak's octagonal bezel. I want something outstanding, something special and innovative.

This is part of the fun of horology, buying, selling, trading, searching for the right watch for you.

admin. I can understand that you are getting tired of a watch. There are SO many out there that spark your, mine, and all of our interests and we just want more and more!

That is a reason personally at this time I wouldnt consider a genuine of any big name (in accordance with my financial situation, but also for the aforementioned 'interest').

P.S. Believe me, it'll be years before I will get tired of the octagonal baby though!

Edited by Dutchy

I guess I can also say that the beauty of replica watches is that, if you don't like it, you can resell it for a smaller loss. ON genuines, you often lose thousands when you buy new, that's why I'm resorting to gray market and used pieces now, so I can wear it for a while, and throw it back out on the market easily without much loss.

And the beauty of reps too is, that you can have a lot to change for less money. It's far too easy to spend $100K in genuines if you're not careful. And I've already spent way over this amount, but sold off a lot too, in my conquest for the perfect watch.

To someone like me, I will be willing to pay $100K for my ultimate watch that meets all my requirements. Perfection to me comes at a price, and what I value it as. I would not value a Panerai much, but I would value a VC, AP or Patek a lot more because of what they are.

Dutch,

I always remember this slogan around here....

"Rep is rep, gen is gen" No comparison between the 2... They both have thier good points and bad points...

Absolutely. Fully agree. Just stating that I personally am not thinking of purchasing a gen for the financial aspect is just too important and that reps to me are just as good!

But indeed, both have their points, no arguing in that!

I guess I can also say that the beauty of replica watches is that, if you don't like it, you can resell it for a smaller loss. ON genuines, you often lose thousands when you buy new.

And the beauty of reps too is, that you can have a lot to change for less money.

As a follow up to my previous post, thats exactly what I meant.

Absolutely. Fully agree. Just stating that I personally am not thinking of purchasing a gen for the financial aspect is just too important and that reps to me are just as good!

But indeed, both have their points, no arguing in that!

Well in that your answering your own question :) Do what makes you happy...

Remember too, probably one shouldn't criticize people "overpaying" for their watches, like some do when talking about Paneristi and such. If they're paying for it, then it's worth that to them. If it isn't worth that much to you, that's fine too. What we "value" is different.

Not at all criticize them. However, I feel that like guys at my school with their cars and gen subs etc....they just do it to show off...couldnt care less what a rolex really is, etc.

Now, I understand that though....its fun to show off (I think so...may be the age, whatever).

Anyway, yes....we all have our values!

Edited by Dutchy

No offense guys, but is there anything to talk about a gen piece? None. You buy it, you show it off,,,ooohh great looking expensive watch, and that is it. But if you buy a rep, there are a lot of things to talk about, like ooohh oohh your cg's are no good,,aaahh my cg's are better and on and on and on :p

I think this is the reason why gen owners are here. There are a lot folks here that own expensivo gen watches.

Not at all critize them. However, I feel that like guys at my school with their cars and gen subs etc....they just do it to show off...couldnt care less what a rolex really is, etc.

Now, I understand that though....its fun to show off (I think so...may be the age, whatever).

Anyway, yes....we all have our values!

Well, that's the beauty of wearing Patek, APs and the like. They aren't meant to be used as showoff items, they are sort of like representations of high horlogy, and shows one tastes and appreciation for fine watchmaking. Unlike Rolex, which is used by much of the people who own them to do nothing but say "hey look, I'm super rich", and it appears Rolex wants to steer in that direction, as evidenced by it's new offerings this year.

No offense guys, but is there anything to talk about a gen piece? None. You buy it, you show it off,,,ooohh great looking expensive watch, and that is it. But if you buy a rep, there are a lot of things to talk about, like ooohh oohh your cg's are no good,,aaahh my cg's are better and on and on and on :p

I think this is the reason why gen owners are here. There are a lot folks here that own expensivo gen watches.

Ok, this is like my 5th post already in this thread.....dont wanna be an interference here.

Anyway, again FULLY agree. I said it before, but I forgot about it! :p Anyway, EXACTLY! What does a gen owner otherwise have to say about their watches?

- Also, the service costs of a gen.

- The insecurity (to me at least) of where you go.....will it be safe?

- the cost of acquiring it

These three things apply to me personally, dont know about you guys.

I agree some people do flash thier Rolex in your face... If they do, that's just what they need to do to make themselves feel good... I own my Daytona for I feel it's a stunning watch and a fine piece of Jewlery... I don't wear Rolex or gens to impress anyone.... I wear them because I enjoy it...

it appears Rolex wants to steer in that direction, as evidenced by it's new offerings this year.

Oh man, those things made me sick...

In my ACTUAL community (direct friends, family, etc) they hate Rolex, DESPISE it. they believe its a pimp watch.

Why?

BECAUSE NONE OF THEM REMEMBERS/KNOWS THE OLD STYLES! The beauty they held and still hold. The oyster, the sea dwellers, the submariners, the daytonas, the explorers, etc etc without the bells and whistles!

All these things that Rolex invented are now accepted as normal things by many people (as for example invicta is even doin it, exact replicas of all models).

Times change.

P.S. Fully right about the AP's and Patek's and VC's....hope they stay that way...

For me- and maybe I have ADD, or some similar disorder- hobbies only stay interesting as long as there's something to do. That's why I dabble in replicas and modding. The fun and excitement of tracking down rare, hard to find genuine parts, or building something to emulate/replicate/clone keeps me busy, and I'm constantly thinking of where/when/how I'm going to find that next odd, unusually rare part, or whatever. This keeps me busy, and keeps my interest piqued. When I had genuines, it was a case of- Go to the AD, haggle a bit about a measly 10% discount, buy it, wear it, forget about it and/or become bored with it. It was just never any fun for me.

I consider this a fun, creative little hobby- Lots to do, see, learn and experience. Lots of hands on interaction with modding, and lots of great people to share ideas, discuss and brainstorm with. For me... This is what makes this hobby the best.

Servicing an AP Offshore: $1200

Servicing a Blancpain Flyback Chrono: $1000

Refinishing a RO bracelet: $400 by AP Clearwater

Servicing by The Zigmeister: $100-$175

You do the math. :D

Ouch ouch ouch!! Really?? How long does it take to service a watch? Let say three hours, that $400 an hour. That is already a lawyers rate.

If I drop the watch off at an AP/Blancpain dealer, I can expect to wait for 3 or 4 months, which really sucks.

I meant the actual work done. Maybe three to four months when you drop your watch because you are waitng in line.