When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Insane ebay bidding war....

ryyannon

I usually don't post in this sub-forum (or anywhere else on RWG, other than in The Shortest Thread Ever, for that matter*), but I couldn't help being amazed at what's happening over here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMERICH-MEERSON-WATCH_...1QQcmdZViewItem

I myself was interested in acquiring this watch - I already have a smaller version, and it's a nicely-designed little piece.

But...although I figured that it wouldn't go above a hundred dollars or so, several people seem to think that this quartz-powered gold-plated Patek-inspired watch created some thirty or forty years ago by an obscure French house is worth some serious bucks!

When new, this watch originally sold for around one hundred and fifty dollars. It's never been considered a collector's item, and I'm wondering what the devil has gotten into the two main bidders.... As it stands, it could easily go to a thousand.

Is this just a case of shill bidding (the seller has since added three other pieces of the same marque), or does somebody know something I have yet to figure out?

(By the way, someone tried to sell a decent used version of the same a few weeks back on the bay and couldn't get even one bid :bangin: )

(*Please don't post there: we're trying hard to keep it as short as possible. Thank you for your cooperation!)

I usually don't post here (or anywhere other than The Shortest Thread Ever, for that matter), but I couldn't help being amazed at what's happening here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMERICH-MEERSON-WATCH_...1QQcmdZViewItem

I myself was interested in acquiring this watch - I already have a smaller version, and it's a nicely-designed little piece.

But...although I figured that it wouldn't go above a hundred dollars or so, several people seem to think that this quartz-powered gold-plated Patek-inspired watch created some thirty or forty years ago by an obscure French house is worth some serious bucks!

When new, this watch originally sold for around one hundred and fifty dollars. It's never been considered a collector's item, and I'm wondering what the devil has gotten into the two main bidders.... As it stands, it could easily go to a thousand.

Is this just a case of shill bidding (the seller has since added three other pieces of the same marque), or does somebody know something I have yet to figure out?

(By the way, someone tried to sell a decent used version of the same a few weeks back on the bay and couldn't get even one bid :bangin: )

The seller has opted for 'private' bidding so it's almost guaranteed to be a setup and you can't even tip off the highest bidder.

And this system is meant to protect the buyer <_<

Rob

The seller has opted for 'private' bidding so it's almost guaranteed to be a setup and you can't even tip off the highest bidder.

And this system is meant to protect the buyer <_<

Rob

Rob, unless I'm mistaken, ebay's 'private bidding' feature kicks in automatically once the bidding rises above a certain dollar-level - I'm not sure that the seller has any free choice in this....

Correct me if I'm wrong?

But one thing is sure: at least one of the same bidders is also running up the bidding on the woman's model: you can compare the anonymous profiles in each case and see the information match...

Their descritpion is not even sexy at all:

UP FOR AUCTION IS ONE OF HIS GREAT WATCH DESIGNS. A MENS QUARTZ,37MM CASE, WATER RESISTANT, WATCH WITH SUB DIAL SECOND HAND AT 6 O'CLOCK AND MINUTE TRACK. ON LEATHER STRAP. THIS ITEM IS NEW OLD STOCK.

That is a really awfull watch to my opinion, looks cheap, small, in other words, all that I dislike. :schmoll:

Fortunately for the seller, not everybody agree with me.

Imagine what kind of Fiddy or SD you get for that price ! :peace:

Guys: 710$ when I checked it last time :lol:

Isn't that insane ?

Cheers

Stephane

Stefane,

I can assure you that it's not such an ugly piece (at least in my eyes): it's kind of a subtle variation on the very classic Patek Calatrava Officer's model and actually looks quite good on the wrist.

But I do agree that the price is insane - especially since I wanted the damn thing!

I wonder if it will go to a thousand?

Stefane,

I can assure you that it's not such an ugly piece (at least in my eyes): it's kind of a subtle variation on the very classic Patek Calatrava Officer's model and actually looks quite good on the wrist.

But I do agree that the price is insane - especially since I wanted the damn thing!

I wonder if it will go to a thousand?

Ryan,

I will have to trust you on the look of this watch and tell you: if you like it, I'm more than happy you have it ;)

Still 37 MM with that kind of dial and a quartz is not talking to me.

But, of course, can talk to many others.

As per variations on classic Manufacture model, only a Manufacture model is a Manufacture model to my eyes :wounded1: unfortunately.

If it reaches 1.000 ? Will you still think you like it ? Or would you rather get 3 MBWs reflecting GEN models, not fantasy ones ?

Cheers

Stephane

I would have liked it a whole lot better at around a hundred bucks - which I believe reflects its actual market value as 'new old stock'.

I'm not sure I follow what you mean when you state: 'As per variations on classic Manufacture model, only a Manufacture model is a Manufacture model to my eyes unfortunately.'

If by (variations on) a 'manufacturer's model' you mean that this is some kind of a replica or cheap knock-off, I have to disagree: it is an authenitc marque and was designed by the owner, Emerich Meerson, who enjoyed a reputation for producing small runs of nicely designed watches (both mechanical and quartz) under his own name.

While not considered great collectors' items in the West, the used pieces command quite decent prices in places like Japan (where these may be resold by the acquirer for considerably more than he's going to pay for them).

Outside of speciality markets, however, I don't see anyone in his right mind paying over the hundred or so dollars I've already pegged this one at.

As for trading this one for three (or even four) MBW's, I'd do it in a flash and without hesitation (if the handful of MBW's cost me the hundred or so bucks I've mentioned): MBW's - and even genuine Rollies do absolutely nothing for me!

Like you say, it's all a matter of what you like, and sometimes there's just no accounting for taste.... :-)

Maybe its a junior version of what the big companies do.. pump the auction value of a few pieces to bring prestige to the brand. From the sound of it he's got a few more of the watches to sell.

It worked for several of the big brand names we love around here...

Crazier thing have happened. I sold a Rado diastar like the one pictured on ebay a couple of years ago. Bought it in a pawn shop for $50.00 and had talked the guy down from $80.00. This is probably the ugliest watch ever mass produced and had no box or papers but I couldn't resist. The pawn shop owner looked relieved that someone had bought this monstrosity. After a few months I decided to put it on ebay for $50.00 no reserve. It got bid up over $500 and the buyer left me positive feedback :thumbsupsmileyanim: I would be [censored].

A second watch I sold was a Universal Geneve Ca. 1960's solid 14K porcelin dial with romans and hand wind. The dial had a noticable hairline but was a nice looking watch. I bought it on ebay for under $200. Sold it a couple months later on ebay $200 no reserve auction for over $700. Go figure.