When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black and white...

Guest Sql_pl

The upper subregisters are touching the 10'o'clock and 2'o'clock hour markers in the black version which looks dead wrong. Otherwise it's a great looking watch though.

The white version looks mighty good and correct. Is it equipped with Swiss 7750?

Taking a second look... there IS a gap between the subdials and hour markers in the black one too. This is wrong in the Asian 7750 powered reps so I assumed... what I assumed. Subdials in black version ARE closer to hour markers than in the white one though. Wonder why...

But I got taken with this one. :lol:

Edited by By-Tor

That's what made me erronously assume the black one is a fake. Perhaps it could be a aftermarket dial?

All genuine newer (post El Primero) Daytonas (that I've seen) have a noticeable gap between the subdials and 2 and 10 hour markers. The black one you show also have the 9'o'clock hour marker closer to the sub register. Also the Swiss Valjoux 7750 version have them correct. However ALL Asian 7750-powered Daytonas (that I've seen) don't have the gap.

I'm not saying this is ALWAYS the case though, I'm far from being a Daytona expert.

The factory photos show it too:

27186-646.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

Guest Sql_pl

By-Tor... you posted a pic of a pre-2000 El Primero powered Daytona 16520.

It is a different thing than 116520.

Small sec register at 9 instead of 6.

Plus the subdials are differently located.

See - the centers of the subdials located at 3 and 9 are above the lne between 3 and 9 markers on the new one while in the El Primero one they are centered on that line.

Oops, you're right I did. That was sloppy. :lol: So... apparently the black version of new Daytona HAS larger subregister diameter (or longer markers) which makes the subdials look closer to the hour markers. We learn something new every day, eh?

I hope I'll get it right this time. Here's two genuines that have the same difference as your watches.

27203-640.jpg

27203-641.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

If Maciek says it's genuine then it's genuine (which it obviously is). I would never doubt his words. I was just wondering about the dial. Actually it wasn't the first time I've observed this.

I believe the subdials ARE closer/larger in the black version as you can see from the comparison picture he posted. I don't think anyone on RWG ever noticed this before. I also scrolled through several gen pictures and always see the same thing. This would make the black rep version closer to the genuine.

More gen pics (I doubt it's just a "optical illusion"):

27274-618.jpg

27274-619.jpg

Edited by By-Tor

• 4 months later...