When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Request for opinions on your SMP band

predfan2001

Below is a picture of my GMT that I have recently added a SMP bracelet to. I purchased it a few weeks back and upon close inspection I found it to be "fair" at best. The clasp, half links and end links appear to be dead on, but the bracelet isn't the greatest. The picture I posted below may not be the best to see details in, but if you look close, you may see some of the faults.

The bracelet does not have the curvature like a gen. An original SMP is thicker in the center, like a PO bracelet giving it a rounded look. The bracelet is also very thin, much thinner than the half links on the clasp. The thin polished areas are perfect on the end links, but flat and poorly defined on the bracelet. Also the links in the bracelet are too flat and squared off. I have already sanded the edges to round them off a little, all of the edges were very sharp. Maybe I'm being a little critical, but I was wondering if any reps had a better band. This one is fine for my asian GMT, but I would not be happy if I received this band on a $200 SMP rep. I hope there are better ones out there. Please post pics if you have them.

255568-6544.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Sadly the quality of SMP bands has really gone down hill in the least year or so, the old ones were much better. That band is pretty typical of what most of the dealers are shipping on the ETA replicas today. In fact many are worse, with one piece end links etc.

I've said many times before that the best bracelets came with the ST-18 and 2824 movement SMPs from about 2 years ago. I have repaired and upgraded mine using genuine parts and they fitted with no problems whatsoever.

I think that there is at least 2 different patterns of genuine bracelet, where one is thicker and more rounded in profile and the other thinner and flatter. Also one is more polished or shiny overall. There seems to be a lesser quality bracelet on the more recent genuine SMPs when compared with the older watches. Cousins lists these as 2 separate bracelets in their spares catalogue.