When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Waterproof Test - PAM 029

TJGladeRaider

I haven't got my lightbox yet, so my pics are not up to snuff - but you will get the idea.

I got this PAM 029 from Joshua for a little more that $300 if I recall correctly. He assured me that I could have it out in the rain, even Everglades swamp rain which is worse than anything encountered in any shower.

post-223-1145331046_thumb.jpg First, we have the Pam in the air over the water. Pressure applied to 4 Bar, or 132ft

post-223-1145331065_thumb.jpg Once we have the pressure up, we crack the valve and let it bleed out slowly. Any air pumped into the watch thru a compromised seal will start to bleed out thru that seal as the presure drops.

post-223-1145331105_thumb.jpg As soon as the pressure begins to drop, we immerse the watch in water to show us the bubbles as air bleeds out thru the compromised seal - no bubbles, but notice that tiny air bubble trapped above the crown in the inside corner of the crown cover. At 132, an air bubble is compressed to one fourth it's size - watch the bubble grow as we bring the watch up from the depths and you'll see why a scuba diver must never hold his breath coming up.

post-223-1145331134_thumb.jpg Still no bubbles

post-223-1145331157_thumb.jpg Still no bubbles

post-223-1145331178_thumb.jpg Still no bubbles, but the tiny bubble has sure grown.

The watch is then removed - if it showed signs of leaking, it must be removed from the water before the pressure bleeds to zero because no water can get in until the air stops bleeding out.

Of all the watches I tested thus far, including a Gen Seiko Diver, and a Gen Stratosphere Diver, this was the only watch that tested perfect.

Pretty damn fine considering that this is my favorite PAM (so far - PVD 028 coming).

Your results may be entirely different, but probably not. I tested a bunch of reps, and I think they did much better than you would have thought. They sure surprised me.

Bill

Nice thread. Have you done any mods to the watch like silicon grease on the o rings or is this "as shipped" from your dealer?

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

I am glad you brought that up as, being a collector who thiks ity is high adventure to unscrew a caseback and adjust the regulator, I didn't think to mention that.

This watch is exactly as it came out of the bubble wrap.

Bill