When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian7750 Rotor Bearing Grease Trick . . .

Tjabo

I know it's a hack thing to do, but I like this watch a LOT other than the extremely noisy rotor. It's so loud sometimes when I move my arm that people look at me like "What was that?" When I tell them it was my watch, they think it's REALLY strange!

Anyway, here is a picture of the rotor (Asian 21j I believe) so you can see what bearing I'm talking about:

257471-6110.jpg

I'm thinking of putting some automotive grease in a syringe and trying to apply a miniscule amount right into the bearing race area. . . . Anyone?

Thanks in advance as usual!

I think there was a post about this a while ago, the author said it worked for him but cant remember what the experts said about it. I think that most of the noise on the 7750 rotor is when is spins in the non winding direction (very freely) and the grease may deaden the sound and slow the spin in that direction but may also:-

a, More force may be required to wind the watch by the rotor as the automotive grease would provide more resistance than the thin watch making oils that are used.

b, May pollute other areas of the works that do not need the grease.

c, i have heard that gen swiss, chiss or swinese 7750s also have loud rotors any way.

I hope this helps, have a good search and see if you can find the original thread.

Thanks Andy!

I spent quite a while last night searching for this information, and I found NOTHING! I thought it got quite a bit of discussion, so I'm starting to think I am losing my mind. . . Coincidently, an opinion shared by my wife. . . . :D

5 months ago I put a tiny bit of ball bearing grease on the A7750 rotor. The annoying noise was immediately gone. Only a nice 'purring' sound when I hold my wrist to my ear.

Just opened the caseback and as far as I can see it hasn't leaked into the other parts (it onlt melts above 110 dgrs Celcius) , neither is the rotor slowed down. Watch keeps perfect time so far.

HOWEVER, when you ask The Zigmeister he'll tell you NOT to do this. So I'll have to see what this means for my watch in the long term......

I also have a gen Oris watch with Valjoux 7750. It does make some hearable noise, but a pleasant one and not even close to the grinding sound as some A7750 have.

Thanks Andy!

I spent quite a while last night searching for this information, and I found NOTHING! I thought it got quite a bit of discussion, so I'm starting to think I am losing my mind. . . Coincidently, an opinion shared by my wife. . . . :D

It happens to us all