When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2894-2

Marc283

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a gen Tag Monza.

I believe this watch is powered by a ETA 2894-2 based movement. I can't find much info about this movement. So i'm asking here if anyone has some info about this movement?

My most important question is: Is this a reliable movement? :g:

Hi all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on a gen Tag Monza.

I believe this watch is powered by a ETA 2894-2 based movement. I can't find much info about this movement. So i'm asking here if anyone has some info about this movement?

My most important question is: Is this a reliable movement? :g:

suppose if it is an ETA (genuine) movement that it's reliable...otherwise it wouldn't be used by Tag Heuer...or others...

doubt that exists a rep with 2894 mvt...there would be some trace of that on the forums...and i never came across that...

I know. I'm 90% sure that eddhead misread the question. :D

ps. I'm 100% sure, but I'm giving Eddhead a chance. :whistling:

Ok guys, thanks for all your info.

I'm one step closer to purchasing the Monza.

I really like the white dail version with the black croc strap. :wub:

BTW: Avitt very nice watch.

Edited by Marc283

Guest avitt

Thanks!

You may also want to give some consideration to the Calibre 36 version. It's about $1000 more, but it's one of the most reasonably priced El Primero based watches available.

Yes the calibre 36 is very nice, but it's a bit to expensive for me.

Here in the EU these watches are the same amount in euro as they are in $ in the US.

And when I import it from the US and it may get caught by customs, then I have to pay a lot of taxes. And maybe a fine, because i'm only allowed to import goods from outside the EU that are around 300,- euros taxfree. The watch is than even more expensive as when I buy it from a EU seller.

Its a great movement but pretty near impossible to service outside the ETA factory, and even then its more often replaced rather than serviced or repaired. Apparantly is only possible to assemble it using the factory jigs.

Its a great movement but pretty near impossible to service outside the ETA factory, and even then its more often replaced rather than serviced or repaired. Apparantly is only possible to assemble it using the factory jigs.

... and if you remove the hands you need a new chrono second hand as the torque resetting the chrono will wrench an old one off its spindle, much like poorly done reps.

Ah late to the party....Monza's mmmmmm, one of my favourite watches :tu:.

I recall Pugs and I discussing the 2894 during the Watch Poll War of 2006 - aside from the fact it has replaced the now-discontinued 7753 as ETA's flagship chrono, I'm still of the opinion it's a triumph of ETA spin over substance. Whichever way you interpret it, it's still a very basic base movt with a chrono module literally stuck on (as opposed to a true integrated chrono). The module is a sealed unit and as the guys above have said, can only be worked on 'in-house' and for a hefty fee. Both servicing costs and inconvenience should all be factored in when considering a purchase.

Love Avitt's Heuer reissue version pictured though - if you really can't stretch to the c.36, I'd seek one of these out rather than the standard Monza.

Faced with the choice, I'd pucker up for the c.36 - there's a reason it has a display back - to show off the truly gorgeous and innovative ZEP movt :wub: .

260112-5612.jpg

For me it's the difference between having a 2006 Mercedes SL500 or a 1956 Mercedes 300SL - both are accomplished performers but only one was truly ground-breaking in terms of craftmanship and has an abundance of heritage and class.

260112-5613.jpg

260112-5614.jpg

Okay, I pulled the trigger on the gen Monza!! It should be here within a week.

I had some doubts to buy a gen Tag Link chrono but the rep looks to good to buy a gen.

@ dablockrock: you're aboluty right that the cal. 36 is very nice. But I need some space to maybe engrave something on the case back. And that doesn't look nice on a display back.

Edited by Marc283

Okay, I pulled the trigger on the gen Monza!! It should be here within a week.

I had some doubts to buy a gen Tag Link chrono but the rep looks to good to buy a gen.

@ dablockrock: you're aboluty right that the cal. 36 is very nice. But I need some space to maybe engrave something on the case back. And that doesn't look nice on a display back.

congrats!!

The business end of the 2894 is the chrono module--which appears on a number of watches, high end and not so high end. The chrono module makers make the modules to fit on a wide variety of movements with minor modifications--AP for example puts a DD module on a JLC movement for the ROO, I believe. My Tag Monaco is powered by a 2894, I believe, although it may be an elprimero... whatever it is it is completely reliable and keeps cosc time.

My Tag Monaco is powered by a 2894, I believe, although it may be an elprimero... whatever it is it is completely reliable and keeps cosc time.

Seconds at 9, the number 36 written somewhere, it's an El Primero. Seconds at 3, it's a 2894.