When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Winding a Panerai Pam 172

Bansenshukai

Fellas,

I'm probably going to be classified as the head of the chess club here for not knowing this. I checked with the search feature for "How to wind a Panerai?" and "Winding a Panerai" and got no search results.

I just got a Pam 172 from Joshua. It looks great. Except I don't know how to wind it. I went to a Panerai website (message board) and it read that I should wind it by flipping open the latch and, with the watch dial facing me, wind upwards, towards the 12 O'Clock of the watch until I felt a point after which it wouldn't be wise to keep going. It basically said to wind until I met some resistance. Which I did ... and very carefully too. But, after that, I set the time, closed the latch and ... nothing. The moment in the back doesn't "move" and I hear no ticking and the time does not change. What did I do wrong?

Thanks ...

And forgive my ignorance in this subject.

Well, there's only one way to wind it, and from the sounds of it, you've got it right.

If you turn the watch over, and look at the movement from the display back, you should see the balance moving (oscillating). If you don't, and you're certain the movement is wound completely (until you feel resistance), then there is a chance that there is a problem with the movement (which is always possible).

Speaking of which... What movement do you have? Swiss ETA/UT 6497? Or the chinese copy?

Well, there's only one way to wind it, and from the sounds of it, you've got it right.

If you turn the watch over, and look at the movement from the display back, you should see the balance moving (oscillating). If you don't, and you're certain the movement is wound completely (until you feel resistance), then there is a chance that there is a problem with the movement (which is always possible).

Speaking of which... What movement do you have? Swiss ETA/UT 6497? Or the chinese copy?

The movement is Swiss Unitas.

I have two other copies of the same model (because three different people ordered it). I'm going to try winding another one and see what happens.

I checked all three Pam 172's out. Yep, you were right: Something is wrong with the movement on one of them. After winding, it doesn't "move". So, I'll send this one back to the dealer. No big deal. These things happen. Thanks for your input, however.

I think I just became a Panerai fan. My collection is going to veer a different direction from my Rolex fetish.