When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

sourcing movements to fit in gens

Ben

hi i was wondering if anyone could source a working movement that would fit in a gen case, pult or transocean (1960's era), so either a 7740 or breitling cal 12.

the reason i ask is that i have seen a couple of NOS cases and dials near me and was wondering if it would be worth going for, i have never been a breitling fan before but the case and dial is about $250 and really good condition, but after a quick google i cant seem to find any movements, or if they are too expensive if another movement would work instead that would be good!

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ben

7740 is a pretty rare movement, isn't it? I've never heard of it. Also, Cal. 12, would you happen to have a movement that it is based on? I know Breitling used the Val.72 in the 806 in the early 60's, the Venus 178 was the mainstay for the Navitimers (806) and I believe they also used the 7736 on some watches.

If you spend $4-500 on a movement, 250 on case and dial, and a few more dollars on misc, you'll have a nice Franken watch for under $1000, maybe. You might do better to keep an eye on ebay and get a whole watch for less.

The internet is great. I researched your movements. the 7740 is a 7736 with the date feature added (at 6). and the Cal 12 was developed by Heuer, Breitling, Hamilton and Dubois Depraz around 1969- automatic, bi compax with the date at 6, also. These are going to be expensive movements and tough to find. You'll end up buying a whole watch, I would think. And could easily spend $1500 in so doing.

thanks for that, since you mention the 7740 is a 7736, would it be possible to use a 7736 and modify it? or use another movement, like a 7750, hell i think i would even go quartz in there for a while if it would fit, until i could find a proper movement anyway!

thanks for your help, and just so you dont think im lazy i did try googling it but all i could find out was that it was made in a collaboration but i couldnt find any prices or stockists but again thanks!

I assume you could use a 7736, but it wouldn't have a date wheel and I can't see adding one. A 7750 might work (asian w/ the 3-6-9 configuration), but once again, I'm not sure how the date feature would work out. Your best bet is going to be keep an eye on ebay- maybe something will pop up.