When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Daytona Modified Movements

beanyboy

Having decided that the Rollie Daytona ss with tan crocodile band is one of the most beautiful watches I can think of, and not willing or able to plop down the $$$$ to buy the real thing, I have undertaken a study of the rep market. Thanks to The Zigmeisterzumba's most excellent entry on the modified 7750 movement, and the extent to which the movement is Gerry-rigged to get the seconds to 6, I am a bit put off on that model, especially since I found out that until 2000 the seconds were at 9 anyway on the real mcCoys. Many on the forums have also expressed disappointment with the performance of the modified Asian 7750.

I am more interested in correct subdial spacing. I think I would rather have the normal 7750 with seconds at 9, but with correct subdial spacing.

Can anybody out there enlighten me on this one? Is there such a thing? Silixprime appears to have something, but it's the same price nearly as the newer modified 7750 model. That doesn't make sense to me. I am willing to pay the price for the correct subdial spacing if I have to.

Any thouhgts on this will be most appreciated.

Beany

Yes. Exactly Nearly. I like the white face version with the tan crocodile watch, but yours is beautiful too.

I want to buy a good one, but I am reluctant to buy the asian modified 7750. I want the correct subdial spacing since I think that's important to the overall look of the watch. And I will change out the fake band with a real crocodile one, as you have done.

Nice looking watch. I bet you get a ton of compliments on it.

Beany

Thanks, Dachshund. So, basically, unless I purchase the modified asian 7750, I have to live with incorrect subdial spacing? Geez, that kinda sucks. How bad, in your opinion, is the subdial spacing error?

Just wondering. Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Beany

beaneyboy

Pre 2000 with proper spacing does not exist in the rep world except with gen El Primo movement installed.

IF you can find one, they are probably in the $1800/2000 range, but the 7750 swiss or asian are both the wrong spacing on the subdials.

ubiquitous, yours is a rep dial, right? how does a el primero fit, if all pre2000 daytonas come with wrogn dubdial spacing?! is it specialy made for the el primero or what?

Mine is a refinish on a genuine dial base. So technically not genuine in my book, as it's not the way it was first issued by r-l-x. I consider it to be a redial, or 'aftermarket'. But not original.