When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My way to mount Second hand & Chrono Hands

deepsea

1. Put a protective paper on the dial...

2. Use a very small needle, insert the needle from the top of the chrono or second hand...

3. Mount it to the movement...

4. Use the hand pusher (a tool that has a hole on the end) and remove the needle.

There you go... If the second hand doesn't move, remove it. Then put 2 layers of protective paper on the dial. (the second hand need some height you know, it can be blocked by the luminova layer and stopped, or other case it may leave a verrry small mark on the dial as a scratch -- protective paper is critical for avoiding this)

This is my way, I'm no professional watchsmith it may not work well on everybody, I'm not responsible for any kinds damages you make to your watches/parts due to this method.

Photo details:

1. My needle with a 127 minute hand (due to size comparison) large needles may damage your second/chrono hands...

264975-4718.jpg

2. Second hand mounted on the needle.

264975-4719.jpg

3. Protective paper is on 111 dial.

264975-4720.jpg

4. Second hand is mounted on the movement.

264975-4721.jpg

5. Hand pusher is put on the needle's top to the top of the second hand.

264975-4722.jpg

6. Needle is pulled, so second hand is on the movement...

264975-4723.jpg

Edited by deepsea

Very useful, thanks!

I'll try it as soon as I get a hand pusher that kind. All my current hands pusher are different from it, I could not use them along with your needle method. :(

Good tip for beginners.

It's really not that hard to do with good tweezers. Use newish or dressed #3s or #5s. One thing you could practice to get your tweezer skills up to par is pick up a small dial-side screw with your tweezers, and practice rotating the tweezers in your hand while keeping a grip on the screw without clicking the screw off into the void. When you have developed your "touch" to this point you won't need to use anything but tweezers and a hand set tool.