When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836 stem problem

I have a problem with my ETA 2836-2. The stem is not pullable anymore. When turning all I can do is set the date. No more winding and no more setting time. I have pulled the stem to do datewheel and dial work. When I pushed in the stem again it clicked and got stuck in 1 position... the datesetting position. I can now just release the stem as a whole (the normal way with the 1,2 screwdriver or click it in and have a datesetting position. I think I messed up the keyless work. Any tips on how to repair? Thanks.

I have reset the keyless works on unitas, asian 21j and a couple of small pocket watches, it is not that difficult to do if you can do small tasks on works but you have to de case and remove the hands dial and date wheel at least to get to it, if you are not happy doing that try to find a rep friendly watch maker. Hope you get it sorted.

It's amazing the number of keyless works that got screwed up these days.

I wonder whether it maybe a matter of increasing temperature that reduces tolerances (summer coming, I mean, not world weather) :huh:

Haha its not the first time I mess up a keyless anyway. I remember my first disassembly not using the correct tool... a needle to reease the stem and I overpushed. Thanks to RWG I repaired it myself. I have quiet some experience in disassembly now but got caught by surprise on this one!!! No idea what has happened... This is a 2836 from cousins... brand new... Well I sort it out...

I found this thread that may help you walk through the repair - Good Luck and let us know the outcome. Cheers

RWG Post - A Keyless Works Tutorial

Well I understand the keyless works very well, and I can't figure out how to do the work based on that "tutorial", so I am sure it will be a challenge at best for someone giving it a first try...

RG

Well I understand the keyless works very well, and I can't figure out how to do the work based on that "tutorial", so I am sure it will be a challenge at best for someone giving it a first try...

It's what I used for my first try. I eventually learned the gaps. :D

... like the spring that makes the winding part work as intended that needs flipping into place.

Yep it was a bit trial and error but after 2 hours with my nose on the keyless it finally sorted out. Once you did it it's easy... but only because you disassemble 23 pieces and no more... If you do like The Zigmeister then you need a looooooooooooooooooot more practice... haha