When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is setting time, changing date or winding too often bad?

Jumbie

Okay, I've read the FAQs and stuff as much as I can so sorry if I missed this but I'm curious since it seems like a fairly big deal (to me anyway).

I saw where The Zigmeister said that it's literally impossible to overwind a watch unless you really try to force it so not worried about that. But let's say that I don't have a winder and have many watches (like some people on this forum) so they run down when I'm not wearing them. I therefore need to wind them before wearing to get them going even if they are automatic. As an aside, I've seen mention that you can just give the watch a little shake to get it going and then set the time and wear it (differing opinions on this from what I've read though).

Alternatively, let's say that I have just one watch that I wear all the time but I travel a lot between time zones and need to change the time several times/month; related to this would be correcting the date for those months with different numbers of days.

Is there a danger of damaging the watch parts? Something like stripping the threads on the crown or wearing down the clutch in an automatic movement from winding it every time it's worn. I guess that some movements would hold up better than others e.g. a 2824 compared with a 7750, the latter sounding like it's more delicate from my readings.

Thanks.

I don't think, you will damage a movement just by using it's functions. Due to it's construction, a modern movement is, although it's a a complicated machine, durable and sturdy - if well finished and serviced. If some functions are used in a way, that is not usual, the only thing you have to fear about is the shorter terms of servicing the watch.

I, for example, collected vintage Omegas. Most of them where running for more than 40 years and I'm sure, not every owner handled them very carefully. I never had any Problems with the Movements, apart from oiling and replacing spare parts. None of them was really damaged.

Hope, that helps a bit ^_^

Thanks for the response Micky.

I wouldn't be worried about a gen watch; not even a cheap, mass-produced one like Fossil let's say. Kind of concerned about the replicas though.

For example, The Zigmeister says in the Watch Basics FAQ:

You can hand wind a bi-directional model, as long as you do so slowly, these models have automatic winding clutch wheels with click levers that will be damaged by fast or repeated windings, as above, wind until the watch starts running, then stop.

and

Cautions adjust the time on these models only if absolutely necessary. The cannon pinion (clutch between the motion works and the crown) is not very good and can and will slip if overused.

Things like that make me wonder about the longevity of the parts in the replicas. I don't own gens so I don't know if the same would apply to them.

Thanks for the response Micky.

I wouldn't be worried about a gen watch; not even a cheap, mass-produced one like Fossil let's say. Kind of concerned about the replicas though.

For example, ziggy says in the Watch Basics FAQ:

and

Things like that make me wonder about the longevity of the parts in the replicas. I don't own gens so I don't know if the same would apply to them.

It actually applies to all watches, gen's and reps alike...

Setting the time wears out the cannon pin clutch, especially if it's not oiled correctly or serviced regularly.

RG

Thanks The Zigmeister.

So I guess that's something in favour of getting a winder. I spent about an hour yesterday reading old posts on winder vs. no winder. Very mixed opinions on it and I can see the point of both sides but it would seem that the less you have to fiddle with the crown to set the date/time, the better and a winder would certainly help there. Especially if an individual only has a couple watches. For someone with more, they'd be setting each one less times overall so the decreased frequency might make up for the increased wear in terms of the crown and clutch.

In the attempt to avoid undue wear I won't set the date if I'm not going to be wearing the same watch for at least a week.

You know, that's not a bad idea.

I do look at my watch a lot to tell the date though. I never know which freaking day it is.

Thanks for the tip. I'll consider it as an option. Too bad I'll still have to set the time. heh