When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My First Fiddy

yt74

I typed this up a few months ago and am only now getting around to posting it:

When I first stumbled across the old RWG a few years ago, the current rage was the PAM 127 or as it is affectionately referred to as the “Fiddy”. At the time, like most newbs I was obsessed with finding the “Best Sub”. The appeal of PAMs and more specifically the Fiddy was lost on me. Since then I have seen excitement build on new rep every few months, like the Noobmariner, the Omega PO and most recently the Big Bang. However, it was member Pugwash’s beautiful pictures of his asian Fiddy that perked up my interest in PAM again. It was bold yet simple and the decorated movement was nothing short of a masterpiece. Currently I have about a dozen pieces in my collection, but only 1 PAM, a 090 asian power reserve on SS that I picked up second hand from another member. It is a decent watch but does not get a lot of wrist time because some of the pins in the bracelet are loose and has the typical PAM rep date mag issues, both of which irritate me. However, seeing Pug’s beautiful pictures and glowing review got me thinking about my desire for a nice, bold casual wear watch. I decided it was time for a Fiddy. I decided that I would go with an asian model because for the amount of wrist time it would receive, a swiss version would not be a good return on the investment. I tend not to wear my manual wind watches every day during the work- week, because I do like to have a date function when I am working, even my beloved Moonwatch does not get much wrist time for that very reason. I started shopping around with all my favorite dealers and settled on King’s version. The price was great and I have always had good luck with her in the past. What really cinched my choice was her standard entry-level model came with a sapphire crystal and AR coating. The other bargain dealer I was considering offered the sapphire as an upgrade, so King’s was a better deal. I placed my order and waited. Unlike my usual nervous waiting ritual, I had a good time occupier this time around, locating a nice strap. I culled the boards for options and settled on a distressed strap from PAW MARKER. Another member here was kind enough to refer me to his listings over on the Paneristi forums. I knew the rep straps have a reputation of being trash, but I was struggling with a nice bargain price strap to put on my bargain price rep. The thought of paying more for the strap than the watch seemed silly. The PAW MARKER version seems to be the perfect compromise, good quality and good value. I am very happy with my economy watch and strap, when it comes to PAM’s I try not to get too wrapped up in the flaws, as I have only met 1 person who even knew what a PAM is, benefits of living in the Midwest US I guess.

When I put it all together, here is what I came up with:

Fresh in from King, with crap strap

post-335-1182059784_thumb.jpg

Just because it says sapphire on the little sticker is it?

post-335-1182059846_thumb.jpg

I thinks so, passes the water drop test!

post-335-1182059877_thumb.jpg

The Pawmarker Strap:

post-335-1182059944_thumb.jpg

And all of the beauty shots:

post-335-1182059969_thumb.jpg

post-335-1182059992_thumb.jpg

post-335-1182060047_thumb.jpg

post-335-1182060072_thumb.jpg

Edited by yt74

Great choices on both! Congrats!

Did you notice you titled this "my first Fiddy"? Do you plan to get many others? ;)

Nice 127 but would've been nicer if it was swiss and not Asian. Watch what you buy.

watchroller, stay assured that yt74 is a seasoned member who knows very well what he buys.

He made quite clear that he took an informed decision based on the quality/price ratio and his will of not spending too much on this.

Most likely he took the best out from that money, both about the watch and the strap.

But don't worry, I think he will forgive you as you arrived just tomorrow.

I bought my wife a 217 i tryed it in an realised i needed a fiddy to match it, it still gets wrist time as well, I was always a swiss snob but now what i have learnt about the 6497s it seams that 99% of them even those advertised as Swiss are at best chiss and mostly swinese.

watchroller, stay assured that yt74 is a seasoned member who knows very well what he buys.

I have learnt about the 6497s it seams that 99% of them even those advertised as Swiss are at best chiss and mostly swinese.

Sage words indeed and thanks for the compliments guys!

Did you notice you titled this "my first Fiddy"? Do you plan to get many others? ;)

Well not for a while, since I typed this I also picked up a 111h from Silix and slapped on a Europelli Baseball strap... :whistling:

Edited by yt74