When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The family's Baume et Mercier

Stephane

Dear All,

Some months ago I posted a topic looking to sell one the family's Baume et Mercier.

As it's very unlikely I could find an amateur here, because I look to recover my spendings, I decide to keep it so that my son will have his Baume et Mercier too when he will turn 18 or so.

As I have some pictures, I thought I might aswell post them here  -_-

Why buy Baume et Mercier

My addiction comes from having seen my dad wear two during his life.

Both are lost for me though  :(

They were full gold, one from the 50ies and one from the 70ies.

I guess that is why I looked at Baume et Mercier since I was a teenager.

About our family's ones

Well, as you can read in this topic, My daughter's Baume & Mercier Linea, my wife and my daughter both have a Linea.

Last December, I got my wife a new one, a Hampton Classic white dial on a brown leather strap, that she really loves and wears daily.

I hope I will be able to get her the same kind of combo (white dial/brow strap) in the Jaeger le Coultre's Reverso line one day (gen of course :o ).

At the same period, I finally got myself one too. A Hampton Classic Gmt white dial on brown leather strap too.

About the Hamptons

My wife's Hampton

- White Dial

- Battery Operated Quartz Movement

- Polished Steel Case

- Brown Leather Strap

- Scratch Resistant Sapphire Crystal

- Manufacturer Box & Manual

- 30 Meters / 100 Feet Water Resistant

- 34mm X 22mm = 1 1/3" X 7/8" Case

- 6" Adjustable Strap

- Tang Buckle

My Hampton:

- White Dial

- Dual Time GMT Feature

- Self Winding Automatic Movement

- Polished Steel Case

- Brown Leather Strap with Crocodile Pattern

- Scratch Resistant Sapphire Crystal

- Manufacturer Box & Manual

- 50 Meters / 165 Feet Water Resistant

- 45mm x 35mm = 1 3/4" X 1 1/3" Case

- 7" Adjustable Strap

- Deployment Buckle

Conclusion

Everyone seems to be happy we have these four Baume et Mercier in house, so let's keep them all ;)

Thanks for reading, and now here are the pics.

Cheers

Stephane

My wife's Hampton

Baume_800_20.jpg

Baume800_05.jpg

Baume800_07.jpg

Baume_800_21.jpg

My Hampton

Baume800_09.jpg

Baume800_10-1.jpg

Baume800_11.jpg

Baume800_12.jpg

Baume800_13.jpg

Baume800_14.jpg

Baume800_15.jpg

Baume800_17.jpg

Baume800_18.jpg

the brand is not elite enough in my opinion

It's not my point of view !!!!

It's certainly right than brand have a real influence for everybody who love watch (no swatch rep for example, even if i have 2 ;) , but for me design itself it's the point, and before the big size fashion, my B&M always has congrats :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I take more importance about design, history of the brand (Panerai is a good sample), beauty of mechanical movt than the brand it self : not a pb of elite or not B)

... the brand is not elite enough in my opinion....

Can't agree. Baume & Mercier is considered between the 30 top brands considering their watchmaking history, and there are about 160 brands between those considered as luxurious. B&M has always been working with the highest levels of quality, not only alone, but also when it has been part of Piaget or Cartier groups.

Well every opinion is respectable.

For sure, Baume et Mercier is not what it used to be.

If they were still that trendy we would see Super Reps of them :whistling:

That brand is in the Richemont group with some other brands (see here under, it's quite significant :brow: ) and it used to be a true manufacture (check the history).

It's more an affective purchase as my Dad had Baume et Mercier.

The other affective brand for me is Jaeger Le Coultre as my Mum wore a platinium Joaillerie one with diamonds, which should be closer to what Corgi would consider as "Elite" ;)

By the way, my sister still has this JLC from the 50ies in perfect state and one of my niece will wear it one day:wub:

Shall I buy a JLC ? Yes, for my wife.

So, would I buy another Baume ? No. I'll get a 1665 GreatWhite one of these days (if I earn enough money to get both JLC and Rolex as my wife has priority!)

But still, Baume et Mercier carry some nice watches at affordable prices (our Hampton were 1.151

I have a gen Capeland crono. I get as many compliments on that watch as I do my PAM or Omega PO. A good looking watch is a good looking watch regardless of brand. B&M, in my humble opinion, make good looking watches. Yeah, they aren't the flashy watches that Breitling makes but I like it that way. There's something to be said about classy and understated.