When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

need your expert opinion on this Rolex SeaDweller - Swiss case

8o8

Guest Sql_pl

The first thing is the dial.

It has a sort of maxi-dial which is incorrect for a Sea-Dweller. Too big markers, the font is also incorrect.

It has a fat minute hand which is also not correct.

The crown guards are not correct.

I also don't like these SELs....

Cheers!

Edited by Sql_pl

I agree with Maciek's comments on the watch in question, and have a few observations of my own to add.

1) Genuine 16600 SD's have a very distinct He Valve @9:00

2) Genuine 16600's have a crystal that is slightly smaller in diameter than a standard Submariner 16610 (I believe by almost 1mm). As Maciek mentioned prior, the crystal is also thicker in height.

For Sea-Dweller reps, the only one I'd recommend is the vintage MBW or WM 1665, as those are the most accurate of *any* Sea-Dwellers available.

For Sea-Dweller reps, the only one I'd recommend is the vintage MBW or WM 1665, as those are the most accurate of *any* Sea-Dwellers available.

Pardon my ignorance, but could you explain a little more anout the MBW and WM1665? I don't know what that means and I don't see anything on Joshua's site, or King's site that is labeled like that.

Thank you,

Bill

Sure, you bet.

MBW is an acronym for 'Maria Best Watch', while WM is for 'Watchmaster'. Both are very accurate replications of vintage and modern watches, most notably of Rolex. There are many stories and theories behind these watches; lots of interesting reading here and on TRC if you search through the archives.

In the meantime, here is a posting I put together which analyzes a pair of the more popular MBW's- The 1680 and 1665.

How to identify a vintage MBW Rolex.

Cheers,

R

thanks for the comments guys. it is a very interesting excersise for me. I am unable to see the differences that has been highligheds... 'cept maybe

1) crown guard coming to a sharper peak in the gen that Sql_pl pictured.

2) 16600 on the case back that is wrong :D

3) maybe the difference between the thickness... though with out comparing I wont be able to identify it.

The differences are easier to spot if you've held a genuine; especially easy if you've had the opportunity to hold a genuine next to a rep! Pics can be deceiving at times, as photo quality, lighting, angles etc. all play a crucial role in perception. However, if you look at this stuff long enough, you'll develop an eye for it, and it will become much easier to spot a typical replica (or a genuine)! Modified reps, however, can be a different story ;)