When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Now this is a Watch Review!

Victoria

In search of the perfect rouille leather band for my new PAM, last night, I came upon a completely unrelated watch review, which knocked my socks off.

A rather scruffy, geeky, professorial gentleman bought himself a grand graduation present: a Blancpain Villeret. One year later, he wrote a comprehensive review of it, that should be the matrix of all reviews.

http://professorguy.com/essays/bpreview.html

Written like a research thesis paper, it nonetheless captures the wonder and magic of owning a beloved piece, like the ones we do, even if they are reps. That the person is thoroughly enchanting, and has a childlike charm describing his personality (he could watch ice melt, and loves it), made it that much more personal and special.

On using the search button, I found another review on the same watch here, by one of the RWG crew (Dave):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...mp;hl=blancpain

...I can only say that both these reviews made me want to go out and buy one for either man in my life, father or boyfriend. Alas, none of our esteemed vendors carry it. One day, maybe!

That is a very dull watch indeed. No seconds hand? Come on. What's the point of that even being automatic if you can't see it sweep?

The only thing keeping it alive is the 4-day power reserve... that's about it.

He could at least have gotten:

269905-3781.jpg

At best he should have chosen:

269905-3782.jpg

The 36mm domed sapphire crystal is coated on both inner and outer surfaces with an anti-reflective coating. This makes the face more susceptible to scratches but makes the dial even easier to read. Fingerprints cannot be wiped off, they must be washed off (I use spit).

:animal_rooster:

TT

That is a very dull watch indeed. No seconds hand? Come on. What's the point of that even being automatic if you can't see it sweep?

In the beginning, I thought rather like you do. It's very plain, rather unimposing, and very lo-fi, if you will.

And then, I kept looking at it, kept reading what this squirrelly professor manchild had to say about it, and I tell you, I fell in love with it. I rushed to see if even Joshua carried it, but none of my 4 usual suspects do. Sigh.

At best he should have chosen:

269935-3774.jpg

Now, see. This is modern-man for you. The more complications the better.

It seems that the Professor knows himself very well, because he stated that he's already a jumpy, rather ADD type of person, who doesn't need needless distractions.

As such, I can't think of a better, more elegant watch than the one he ultimately chose on this "grey market" (wish I knew where that market was...).

The sad thing is how none of our dealers carry any Blancpain reps whatsoever. That is indeed a disappointment, because they are really a very respectable brand. As you can see just by looking at the DR's watch, it wouldn't be a very hard thing to copy, either...

The sad thing is how none of our dealers carry any Blancpain reps whatsoever. That is indeed a disappointment, because they are really a very respectable brand. As you can see just by looking at the DR's watch, it wouldn't be a very hard thing to copy, either...

That's exactly what I was thinking! In effect, they are as sleek, elegant as the simplest Patek or A. Lange & S