When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 Mod Tradeoffs

drop

My MBW DRSD should be arriving from TTK shortly so I am gearing-up for mods.

After looking through all the great information on the site, I have a short set of questions for which I'd appreciate experienced input. B)

1) T39 Superdome - Clark $60 or Gen $160. Now that the Clark's have been around a little longer any opinions on if the price differential is really worth it?

2) Crown & Stem - is it better to keep the MBW vintage crown and just replace the stem, or to swap the crown with a more current triplock design?

3) Lume Dot - gen vintage pearl's impact to the overall look... If I can nab one I should do so without hesitation?

4) Insert - good enough to age the MBW insert or find a more recent gen insert?

Thanks in advance for the feedback, I'm anxious to get started!

drop-

A couple of answers to your questions...

1) Get the Clark's. Good value for the money and the quality is first rate. Very close to the gen at a fraction of the cost.

2) You'll need to keep the stem, but definitely change out the crown and tube for gen. This makes a huge difference in appearance and feel, but more importantly, function.

3) If you can get a dot, it's good to have but...

4) Getting a complete gen insert is really the way to go. Appearance, durability, etc... There IS a difference!

Also, don't forget... Shape the CG's and drill the lugs. There's more than can be done beyond these mods... Just depends how far you want to take it...

All the best,

R

Also, don't forget... Shape the CG's and drill the lugs. There's more than can be done beyond these mods... Just depends how far you want to take it...

All the best,

R

I'm also awaiting the arrival of a MBW Great White 1665. I thought that the CGs on the MBWs are already well shaped?

Drop -- I would agree with everything Ubi said except, to some degree, his buying advice about the Clark's crystal. While Clark's IS an excellent crystal and a reasonable alternative for those on a budget, I have found the distortion of images around its circumference to be occasionally distracting. Both Nanuq and I have posted reviews (containing photo comparisons) contrasting the Clark's crystal with the gen Tropic 39 as well as some other popular aftermarket crystals.

Bottom line is this -- if you can afford the gen, get the gen (and hope the seller actually sells you a gen and not a repackaged aftermarket lens as has happened to me, twice). If you cannot, get Clark's, which is head and shoulders above any of the other aftermarket T39s I have seen or tried and gives you 95% of what you get from the gen lens.

Screech -- The MBWs come with nice CGs, but they are not accurate compared to vintage gen Seadwellers.

TTK -- I am still awaiting the word from you on a 5514/5513. Any news yet?

Overall, looks pretty good, though the inside edges can be cleaned up just a touch.

Is anyone going to notice in pics? Probably so... But on the wrist? Most likely not :)

I don't feel it's a huge priority... But if you like the details just right, slight shaping on the inside and outside edges will improve the overall look of the watch.

BTW... By-tor did a great write up on how to do this mod...

P.S. A gen crown will also help in the aesthetics, as the rep crown is too tall, profile wise...

;)

Awesome advice so far, thank you!

Oh yes, CGs and lugs almost go without mentioning.... :) caseback as well. I'm tempted to give the CGs a shot myself, but I don't have the equipment nor guts to do the lugs. I'll have to tap into one of our trusted modders for help with that!

Would love to find a gen insert but, for a newb like me, the search is a little befuddling... It seems acquiring a gen vintage is almost out of the question due to rarity, if so any advice on which part # insert I should be nabbing?

Are most folks having success using a little detergent to age the insert? I didn't find a tutorial for this, I think I would like just a subtle amount.

Thanks again.

Awesome advice so far, thank you!

Oh yes, CGs and lugs almost go without mentioning.... :) caseback as well. I'm tempted to give the CGs a shot myself, but I don't have the equipment nor guts to do the lugs. I'll have to tap into one of our trusted modders for help with that!

Would love to find a gen insert but, for a newb like me, the search is a little befuddling... It seems acquiring a gen vintage is almost out of the question due to rarity, if so any advice on which part # insert I should be nabbing?

Are most folks having success using a little detergent to age the insert? I didn't find a tutorial for this, I think I would like just a subtle amount.

Thanks again.

I'm awaiting my MBW 1665 from TTK any day now and it's going off to Ziggy for a vintage luming, genuine tube and crown, aftermarket T-39 replacement, lug hole drilling..total cost with shipping about $300. isn't this MBW stuff nuts????? $650 for a fake watch. For another $350, I could have had an automatic speedmaster.

Good news, if logic ever prevails again...I can always find another board member suffering from the same delusions willing to buy it!!!!!

Genuine inserts can be found from time to time. I haven't actively sought one out in quite sometime... But, they're out there :)

As for aging an insert, I've found that a little bleach with H2O and a close, watchful eye can net decent results...

Perfect, thanks!

I'm awaiting my MBW 1665 from TTK any day now and it's going off to The Zigmeister for a vintage luming, genuine tube and crown, aftermarket T-39 replacement, lug hole drilling..total cost with shipping about $300. isn't this MBW stuff nuts????? $650 for a fake watch. For another $350, I could have had an automatic speedmaster.

Good news, if logic ever prevails again...I can always find another board member suffering from the same delusions willing to buy it!!!!!

Good to know I'll have some company in this endeavor! I'm really psyched for the journey. Fueling my fire - I was at the Apple store today checking out the new iPhone and saw a gent wearing a vintage sub on a Nato strap... :bounce:

Switching topics, I've read posts indicating that some folks have achieved slight yellowing of the markers through sustained exposure to sunlight over a 2-3 week timespan - is this legit?