When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dial wording removal >>>

viper

Hi all,

Have tried to do a search on how to remove text/wordings from a dial, could not find it. I have a 47mm Pam (forgot the model number) that has Panerai Luminor(top) and Militare Marina(bottom) and would like to remove the latter text without damaging the dial.

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Viper

Edited by viper

If the dial is a sandwich dial, you can split the two dial planes, remove the top coat of paint and repaint it black...

Yes it is a sandwich dial, and thank you for your kind advice! I was hoping to remove the text without separating the dial planes, will nail polish remover work?

Dang it! I was afraid you were gonna say that.

Is there anyway of removing only the printed text?

I just did the dial, and the black background was removed, so I used a permanent marker, filled up the space, and proceeded to dab the dial with nail polish remover, it kind of aged the dial. The dial now has a kind of dirt/aged look.

I should have waited for the dial to completely dry, but I installed it right back.

Now the crystal is a little misty, any suggestions / advice? Or should I just wait a couple of days, open it up again and clean the crystal.

Just curious, do gen vintage Pams from the '50s or '60s have slight misting under the crystal?

Thanks!

I have a 47mm Pam (forgot the model number) that has Panerai Luminor(top) and Militare Marina(bottom) and would like to remove the latter text without damaging the dial.

If the text on your watch was like this, I am sorry to say that you just changed a nice 6152/1 rep.

I tried several chemicals to the task, and none proved able to remove the text only while leaving the background untouched.

Just, one of them (I can't even remember which exactly, maybe acetone) removed the text a few seconds before attacking the background. So, if one is really fast in removing the solvent after it removes the text and before it removes the background, he could end with a just slightly damaged backround.

If the text on your watch was like this, I am sorry to say that you just changed a nice 6152/1 rep.

I tried several chemicals to the task, and none proved able to remove the text only while leaving the background untouched.

Just, one of them (I can't even remember which exactly, maybe acetone) removed the text a few seconds before attacking the background. So, if one is really fast in removing the solvent after it removes the text and before it removes the background, he could end with a just slightly damaged backround.

Yes, my rep is of the 9152, and the text font for the lower part of the dial was not accurate to that pic, which had white text. My rep used the metal base for the text, with the dial colored black, like reverse stencil.

And the bottom text came off, together with the black as well. I'll post pics very soon.

In some cheaper Pam reps ($30-40), the white text could be removed without affecting the dial color.

Thank you for your input, sir, it was most helpful.

Some pics of the aged Pam >>>

Of course not on par with some of our members' mods, my vintage Pam, with scotchbrite on the case, some dark brown marker on the numbers, some smudgy nail polish remover, sandpapered strap, and good intentions. LOL....!