When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshua's Serviced Omega SMP GMT - Waterproof Test

TJGladeRaider

After the interest that was generated here when I started waterproof testing watches, Joshua offered to have his watch smith service and mod some watches prior to delivery. I ordered several that were to be fully serviced, timed and properly waterproofed. I am particularly anxious to see how the Rolex Sub Mods turn out - but these are what I received thus far.

post-223-1146282630.jpg

Here are pics of the Omega SMP GMT

post-223-1146281776.jpg

post-223-1146281794.jpg

These SMP GMTs are one of my favorite reps - if I could get the richness and waves in that dial to show up on camera, the pics would be much better.

I will be testing it to see how well it tracks with the US Govt Official Time Clock and I will be testing it to see of it is waterproof. I'll just edit this post when I have those pics/results finished.

I have finished the waterproof tests - just like the prior SMP GMT that I tested, this watch is perfect. It really annoys me that I cannot make that rich wavy background show up on pics.

post-223-1146348553.jpg

post-223-1146348563.jpg

post-223-1146348573.jpg

post-223-1146348586.jpg

post-223-1146348597.jpg

I have set all the watches to match the Official US Time Clock - we'll see how they do in a week.

post-223-1146348609.jpg

Bill

Yep- that crown probably isn't screwed down hard- but don't forget- this is exactly what this type of test is geared to. If the watch had a leak ( faulty seal or failure to tighten crown) The 1st sign would have been bubbles from the seal area. Then you simply lift it out of the water - BEFORE the pressure gets to ambient!

No harm done. In this case the seal was holding anyway!

Clever thinking on the part of the designers EH!

I can however offer a couple of scenarios, when it could all go pear shaped- but would hate to put anyopne off WP testing!

But this method sure as hell beats a fishing line with 300M of line- aboard a boat- sitting in 300M of water- with a watch attached to the hook end!!!

offshore

I don't know where all the pictures went.

Anyway, you are all absolutely correct - I did not have the crown screwed in all the way. I'd have to check the pictures, but I probably did the WP test after synchronizing all the watches with the US Time Clock.

Still, not so much as a bubble. That means the watch is airtight without the crown screwed in. I find that to be truly remarkable.

If bubble had come rushing out like a blown air hose, no harm would have been done. If you note the time elapse, I bleed the air pressure very, very slowly. So long as you catch it while the air pressure is dropping and remove the watch, you won't get water incursion.

It's been a few days now and the watches are all keeping time nicely, but I'll report at the end of the week.

Bill