When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintagidzement of steel (in Exp II vintage remodded)

triosLescano

I have experimented a tecknik for vintagized steel of vintage reps.

Steel of reps have 2 problems

1 - if you remodded a fake whit gen or good aftermarket parts is possible that the tone of steel of parts rep, gen and after is ligth different. The watch is bad !

2 - steel of vintage is really light light light different from normal medium steel. It is matt, vintagized, the time has cancelled the patina of new ecc..

I have used this tecknik for omogeneized and vintagized steel in my Exp II (totally remodded)

Use a mix of.

1 part of oil color terre de sienne br

post-3745-1183653583_thumb.jpg

That is an excellent point. I have noticed the "color" of the steel is different between different cases and bracelets. This will make a case look much darker and more aged.

Now who is going to tackle the problem of domed crystals not being "yellowed" as much as an authentic 30-year old piece?

I think either a sunlamp or soaking the lens in tea should work. I am sure there are other ways to do it, but these two are the first that come to mind.

But I have never really noticed enough of a difference to see any reason to try to match metals. It does not seem to be a big deal when RSC replaces similar parts with newer ones on gen watches. At least I have never seen any complaints about this on Timezone.

That is an excellent point. I have noticed the "color" of the steel is different between different cases and bracelets. This will make a case look much darker and more aged.

Now who is going to tackle the problem of domed crystals not being "yellowed" as much as an authentic 30-year old piece?

Easy answer...difficult to obtain

I have a access to a bio-safety hood that has a disinfecting UV light. That light yellows any plastic items in very short order. You can get 30 year yellowing in about 2 weeks.

Any strong, disinfecting UV lamp source...like those sold for outdoor water feature sterilization, will do.

Let's see some results! That's one thing that always looks "real" to me, a nicely aged crystal too.

I left a T-39 plastic aftermarket crystal under a disinfectant UV light Friday at work and I'll take a look at it on Monday. There might be some aging but usually it takes several weeks for plastic to yellow from UV.

A science experiment....how exciting